all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can use outline mode in lisp code?
@ 2004-06-24  6:56 Giannandrea Castaldi
From: Giannandrea Castaldi @ 2004-06-24  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm using emacs+slime to write common lisp programs (cmucl).
I'd like to use the outline mode while I'm editing lisp programs. It
should make invisble/visble the symbolic expressions of my files.
How can I do it?

Thanks.

Giannandrea

* Re: How can use outline mode in lisp code?
@ 2004-06-24  9:50 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2004-06-24  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giannandrea Castaldi <g.castal@tiscali.it> writes:

> I'm using emacs+slime to write common lisp programs (cmucl).
> I'd like to use the outline mode while I'm editing lisp
> programs.  It should make invisble/visble the symbolic
> expressions of my files.  How can I do it?

i recommend hideshow minor mode because it can handle hiding the
binding block in a let form, whereas outline cannot.  it is also
"block" oriented rather than simply indentation detecting, and
thus handles nested forms better (which is nice for sexp-based
languages (like lisp :-)).  for example, given the form (J and K
signify cursor positions on the line below them):

  J    KL
  (let ((a (list 10
                 20
                 30))
        (b 2)
        (c 3))
    (list a b c))

hs-hide-block at J shows:

  (let ((a (list 10...

hs-hide-block at K shows:

  (let ((a (list 10...
    (list a b c))

hs-hide-block at L shows:

  (let ((a (list 10...
        (b 2)
        (c 3))
    (list a b c))

there are also other facilities i won't spew on about here (see
Commentary in hideshow.el for more info).

the bad news is that currently top-level comments and "internal"
comments are handled differently.  someone needs to generalize
hideshow algorithms so that the former can be implemented as a
special case of the properly-recursive latter.  a bug report to
this effect has been sitting for six months, and will probably sit
for another few, until autumn, at least.  some programmers are at
times extremely slow. :-/

thi

* Re: How can use outline mode in lisp code?
@ 2004-06-24 11:33   ` Giannandrea Castaldi
From: Giannandrea Castaldi @ 2004-06-24 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> Giannandrea Castaldi <g.castal@tiscali.it> writes:
>

>>I'm using emacs+slime to write common lisp programs (cmucl).
>>I'd like to use the outline mode while I'm editing lisp
>>programs.  It should make invisble/visble the symbolic
>>expressions of my files.  How can I do it?
>

> i recommend hideshow minor mode because it can handle hiding the
> binding block in a let form, whereas outline cannot.  it is also
> "block" oriented rather than simply indentation detecting, and
> thus handles nested forms better (which is nice for sexp-based
> languages (like lisp :-)).  for example, given the form (J and K
> signify cursor positions on the line below them):
>
>   J    KL
>   (let ((a (list 10
>                  20
>                  30))
>         (b 2)
>         (c 3))
>     (list a b c))
>
> hs-hide-block at J shows:
>
>   (let ((a (list 10...
>
> hs-hide-block at K shows:
>
>   (let ((a (list 10...
>     (list a b c))
>
> hs-hide-block at L shows:
>
>   (let ((a (list 10...
>         (b 2)
>         (c 3))
>     (list a b c))
>
> there are also other facilities i won't spew on about here (see
> Commentary in hideshow.el for more info).
>
> the bad news is that currently top-level comments and "internal"
> comments are handled differently.  someone needs to generalize
> hideshow algorithms so that the former can be implemented as a
> special case of the properly-recursive latter.  a bug report to
> this effect has been sitting for six months, and will probably sit
> for another few, until autumn, at least.  some programmers are at
> times extremely slow. :-/
>
> thi

Very useful, thanks a lot.

Giannandrea