all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-10  9:52 Christian Hofer
From: Christian Hofer @ 2004-06-10  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

my umlauts are suddenly not shown any more as umlauts, but as {"a} etc.
I don't know what happened to my configuration, and don't know where to
search in the manual (I tried to change the language environment, but
that did not help).

How can I repair this?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-10 17:05 ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-06-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some witty Entity named: Christian Hofer <ch_spam@gmx.de>
 has unintentionally writen somthing like:

> Hi,
>
> my umlauts are suddenly not shown any more as umlauts, but as {"a}
> etc. I don't know what happened to my configuration, and don't know
> where to search in the manual (I tried to change the language
> environment, but that did not help).
>
> How can I repair this?

You could put in .emacs:

;(setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")

or in custom-set-variables '((setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
then in text-mode CTRL-\  starts the input method and you will have
umlauts.

cor

--
A well regulated free and independent Internet-militia, being necessary
to secure a free and independent Internet-community, the right of the

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-11 10:42   ` Christian Hofer
From: Christian Hofer @ 2004-06-11 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cor Gest wrote:
> You could put in .emacs:
>
> ;(setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
>
> or in custom-set-variables '((setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
> then in text-mode CTRL-\  starts the input method and you will have
> umlauts.

Thank you for your answer. While my problem has disappeared today with
starting the next Emacs session, I would still be glad to find out, what
the problem was (it is always good to know, how the internals work).

I suppose, I could not make it clear, what my problem is (sorry, my
English is not the best). I read in the info what the input-method is,
and it does not concern my problem. I have a german keyboard with
umlauts, so I suppose I do not need an input method.

(Sidenote:
On the other hand, the default-input-method variable is set to
"german-postfix" (as standard, without setting it in .emacs). But when I
try to switch to this input method, I just get the error:
activate-input-method: Can't activate input method `german-postfix'
Not very helpful...)

My problem seems to have been some sort of display problem. Maybe it was
the wrong fontset? While the saved file contained all the umlauts I
typed (so it does not seem to be an encoding problem), in the Emacs
buffer they have been displayed as {"a}.

As I said, I did not find any information about that in the info.

Chris

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-11 20:19     ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-06-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some witty Entity named: Christian Hofer <ch_spam@gmx.de>
 has unintentionally writen somthing like:

> (Sidenote:
> On the other hand, the default-input-method variable is set to
> "german-postfix" (as standard, without setting it in .emacs). But when
> I try to switch to this input method, I just get the error:
> activate-input-method: Can't activate input method `german-postfix'
> Not very helpful...)
>
> My problem seems to have been some sort of display problem. Maybe it
> was the wrong fontset? While the saved file contained all the umlauts
> I typed (so it does not seem to be an encoding problem), in the Emacs
> buffer they have been displayed as {"a}.

It could be due to the setting in MULE evironmemt

(emacs 21.3) from menu
Options > MULE > set Language Environmet > European > German

after setting and trying : Options > Save settings

this should put the MULE envvars in .emacs

(Or indeed a non dl characters  compatatible fontset)

HTH

Cor

--

@ 2004-06-11 21:14       ` Christian Hofer
From: Christian Hofer @ 2004-06-11 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cor Gest <cor@clsnet.nl> writes:
> It could be due to the setting in MULE evironmemt
>
> (emacs 21.3) from menu
> Options > MULE > set Language Environmet > European > German

That is what I tried, but it did not work. Maybe I did s.th. wrong. I
cannot reproduce the behaviour anymore anyway. So maybe I should just
be satisfied until it happens again...

But I just realized there is a special coding system for terminal
output. Maybe I somehow set this to a wrong value...

Chris

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-11 22:01         ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-06-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some witty Entity named: Christian Hofer <ch_spam@gmx.de>
 has unintentionally writen somthing like:

> That is what I tried, but it did not work. Maybe I did s.th. wrong. I
> cannot reproduce the behaviour anymore anyway. So maybe I should just
> be satisfied until it happens again...
>
> But I just realized there is a special coding system for terminal
> output. Maybe I somehow set this to a wrong value...

could be, I think it is set to vt100 by default

Cor

--
				God needed 6 days to create the Universe
         Why do we expect a Computer to Make World in 6 seconds

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-06-14 12:42         ` LEE Sau Dan
From: LEE Sau Dan @ 2004-06-14 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Christian> But I just realized there is a special coding system
    Christian> for terminal output. Maybe I somehow set this to a
    Christian> wrong value...

M-x set-terminal-coding-system iso-8859-1 RET

may solve your  problem.  Does the "Grüß Gott"  show up correctly when
you type C-h H?  (This can tell whether it's a display problem, as you
don't need to type in any special letters.  I guess yours is a display
problem.)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: umlaut problem
@ 2004-07-01 10:28 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-07-01 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Hofer <ch_spam@gmx.de> writes:

> my umlauts are suddenly not shown any more as umlauts, but as {"a}
> etc.

Looks like the output of iso-cvt.el.

What does C-h k ä say?  It should say self-insert-command.

Kai