all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-22 21:25 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can somebody the knows what this code is supposed to do please take a
look at this warning?

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-22 21:42 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-10-22 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Can somebody the knows what this code is supposed to do please take a
> look at this warning?

I think it's a result of this line in shell.el:

  (defalias 'dirtrack-toggle 'shell-dirtrack-mode)

and dirtrack requiring shell when compiling.

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-24 22:44   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > Can somebody the knows what this code is supposed to do please take a
  > > look at this warning?
  >
  > I think it's a result of this line in shell.el:
  >
  >   (defalias 'dirtrack-toggle 'shell-dirtrack-mode)
  >
  > and dirtrack requiring shell when compiling.

Saw that, but dirtrack.el and shell.el could at least agree on the
number of arguments for dirtrack-toggle. And the comments are
also "interesting".

Maybe someone that understands what the intention is with that code
can take a look?

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-25  9:01     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-25  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

It appears that shell.el contains code to track directory changes, and
dirtrack.el is another implementation.  A priori it seems undesirable
to have both.  Is there a reason to have both of them?  Which one is better?

Maybe we should keep the better one, put it in shell.el if it isn't
there already, and delete the other.

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-29  0:42       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-10-29  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> It appears that shell.el contains code to track directory changes, and
> dirtrack.el is another implementation.  A priori it seems undesirable
> to have both.  Is there a reason to have both of them?

They are different solutions to the same problem (keeping track of PWD
in a shell). One tracks `cd' (etc) commands, the other assumes you
have a prompt that shows the full PWD. I tidied up the namespaces so
that they don't clash any more.

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-29 23:35         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-29 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: dann, emacs-devel

    They are different solutions to the same problem (keeping track of PWD
    in a shell). One tracks `cd' (etc) commands, the other assumes you
    have a prompt that shows the full PWD.

Could you document the two in one place, explaining the difference,
so that users understand the choice available?

* Re: dirtrack.el:200:8:Warning: function dirtrack-toggle used to take 0-1 arguments, now takes 0
@ 2007-10-30  6:43           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-10-30  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: dann, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> Could you document the two in one place, explaining the difference,
> so that users understand the choice available?

I believe this is now adequately documented.