all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* enabling auto fill mode for XML documents
@ 2005-01-30 19:28 Wolfgang Jeltsch
From: Wolfgang Jeltsch @ 2005-01-30 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I want the auto fill minor mode to be automatically enabled for all buffers
using the nXML major mode.  Alas, all previous attempts and tipps to realize
this (like putting turn-on-auto-fill-mode in an nXML hook) didn't work.  What
is a good way to achieve what I want?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

* Re: enabling auto fill mode for XML documents
@ 2005-01-31 13:05 ` August
From: August @ 2005-01-31 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On sön, 2005-01-30 at 20:28 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want the auto fill minor mode to be automatically enabled for all buffers
> using the nXML major mode.  Alas, all previous attempts and tipps to realize
> this (like putting turn-on-auto-fill-mode in an nXML hook) didn't work.  What
> is a good way to achieve what I want?
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

Just tried out the nXML major mode and for me it works fine with
`(auto-fill-mode 1)' in the mode hook. I have the following lines in
my .emacs init file:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/nxml-
mode-20041004")
(load "rng-auto.el")
(defun my-nxml-mode-hook ()
  (auto-fill-mode 1))
(add-hook 'nxml-mode-hook 'my-nxml-mode-hook)

Also consider refill-mode as it refills the paragraph even when you
insert/delete words in the middle of it. If you want to use it, change
the mode hook to:

(defun my-nxml-mode-hook ()
  (refill-mode 1))

--
August

* Re: enabling auto fill mode for XML documents
@ 2005-01-31 13:26   ` Wolfgang Jeltsch
From: Wolfgang Jeltsch @ 2005-01-31 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 31. Januar 2005 14:05 schrieb August:
> [...]

> Just tried out the nXML major mode and for me it works fine with
> `(auto-fill-mode 1)' in the mode hook.

Thank you.  That does the job.

> [...]

> Also consider refill-mode as it refills the paragraph even when you
> insert/delete words in the middle of it.

That is even better than just auto-filling.  Alas, it has the problem that no
automatic indentation takes place when a new line is started because the old
line was full.  Is there a way to let also refill mode auto-indent new lines?

       [not found] <mailman.27.1107114085.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-31 19:18 ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found]   ` <mailman.274.1107248105.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-01-31 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang@jeltsch.net> wrote on Sun, 30 Jan 2005
20:28:31 +0100:
> Hello,

> I want the auto fill minor mode to be automatically enabled for all
> buffers using the nXML major mode.  Alas, all previous attempts and
> tipps to realize this (like putting turn-on-auto-fill-mode in an nXML
> hook) didn't work.  What is a good way to achieve what I want?

Well, I would have said putting `turn-on-auto-fill-mode' into an nXML
hook.  That's if that function exists (which I'm sure you'll have
checked).

So why not post the actual lisp code which you've tried - it could be
there's a niggly little error in it.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: enabling auto fill mode for XML documents
@ 2005-02-01  8:35   ` Wolfgang Jeltsch
       [not found]   ` <mailman.274.1107248105.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wolfgang Jeltsch @ 2005-02-01  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 31. Januar 2005 20:18 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
> [...]

> Well, I would have said putting `turn-on-auto-fill-mode' into an nXML
> hook.  That's if that function exists (which I'm sure you'll have
> checked).

It doesn't exist.  I get: "Symbol's function definition is void:
turn-on-auto-fill-mode".

However, it works with (auto-fill-mode 1) which someone on this list already
suggested.

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang
--
SOFTWAREPATENTE GEHEN JEDEN ETWAS AN, DENN SOFTWARE IST ÜBERALL.
Bitte lesen Sie mehr auf http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/!

@ 2005-02-01  9:48     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2005-02-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.274.1107248105.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang@jeltsch.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, 31. Januar 2005 20:18 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
> > [...]
>
> > Well, I would have said putting `turn-on-auto-fill-mode' into an nXML
> > hook.  That's if that function exists (which I'm sure you'll have
> > checked).
>
> It doesn't exist.  I get: "Symbol's function definition is void:
> turn-on-auto-fill-mode".
>
> However, it works with (auto-fill-mode 1) which someone on this list already
> suggested.

It's called turn-on-auto-fill, which you could easily have figured out
using apropos.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA