all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* themes not behaving themselves.
@ 2014-04-30  6:32 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-04-30  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have this strange problem in that if I load a theme with a dark background,
such as "clues" or "soft-charcoal", or such like, it colours the line numbers
and the line the cursor is on, leaving a darkened edging round the whole
buffer! Inside the darkened edging it is "wheat-coloured", probably because
I've been using the "wheat" theme. And if I unload the wheat theme, the buffer
background stays the same with only very slight changes to the foreground,
like highlighting text is the same colour as the rest of the line, or in
other words, you can't see what you're highlighting! If I totally comment out
all load-lines for themes and restart emacs, I still get the wheat-coloured
background with slight changes in the foreground!

How do I get back to being able to load and try out new, to me at least,
themes please? And how do I get the default theme back please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.50.14

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: themes not behaving themselves.
       [not found] <mailman.381.1398864724.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-30 14:05 ` Dan.Espen
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-04-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I have this strange problem in that if I load a theme with a dark background,
> such as "clues" or "soft-charcoal", or such like, it colours the line numbers
> and the line the cursor is on, leaving a darkened edging round the whole
> buffer! Inside the darkened edging it is "wheat-coloured", probably because
> I've been using the "wheat" theme. And if I unload the wheat theme, the buffer
> background stays the same with only very slight changes to the foreground,
> like highlighting text is the same colour as the rest of the line, or in
> other words, you can't see what you're highlighting! If I totally comment out
> all load-lines for themes and restart emacs, I still get the wheat-coloured
> background with slight changes in the foreground!
>
> How do I get back to being able to load and try out new, to me at least,
> themes please?

As we discussed a while back, in a thread something like "themes broken
as designed", themes are far from consistent about the faces they
change.

After using one theme, the next them may or may not replace all the
changes it has made.

As far as I know, restarting Emacs is your only choice.

>  And how do I get the default theme back please?

Don't know.  I suppose removing any theme change from you .emacs
and restart.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: themes not behaving themselves.
@ 2014-04-30 18:39   ` Svend Sorensen
From: Svend Sorensen @ 2014-04-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

despen@verizon.net (Dan.Espen) writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
> After using one theme, the next them may or may not replace all the
> changes it has made.
>
> As far as I know, restarting Emacs is your only choice.

If you run disable-theme, it will undo the changes the theme made
without restarting.

I have the following in may Emacs config to automatically disable all
themes when loading a new theme:

(defun disable-all-themes ()
  "Disable all active themes."
  (dolist (i custom-enabled-themes)
    (disable-theme i)))

(defadvice load-theme (before disable-themes-first activate)
  (disable-all-themes))

I got this from the following SO page.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22866733/emacs-disable-theme-after-loading-a-different-one-themes-conflict?noredirect=1#comment34887344_22866733

* RE: themes not behaving themselves.
@ 2014-04-30 20:56     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-04-30 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Svend Sorensen, help-gnu-emacs

> If you run disable-theme, it will undo the changes the theme made
> without restarting.

Nope. `disable-theme' does not undo all of the changes made by enabling
a theme.  It simply "undoes" stuff that would affect or be affected by
other themes.  You cannot use `disable-theme' to restore the state (all
frame parameter settings, faces, etc.) that Emacs had before any themes
were enabled.

Color themes (library color-theme.el) behave well in this regard.
But Emacs custom themes do not.
See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ColorTheme.

See also:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-02/msg00334.html