all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gdb gud won't show source code
@ 2009-02-19 21:30 viona
From: viona @ 2009-02-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Under Aquamacs 1.7 I try to start gdb, and it opens up all the
windows, like breakpoints, stack etc,
but instead of the buffer with a source code I have a buffer *Buffer
List*. How do I fix that?
(gdb-show-main is set to true)

* Re: gdb gud won't show source code
@ 2009-02-19 22:10 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1220.1235081444.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-19 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viona; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.02.2009 um 22:30 schrieb viona:

> Under Aquamacs 1.7

Have you thought of sending the question to:

	MacOSX-Emacs mailing list
	mailto:MacOSX-Emacs@email.esm.psu.edu

Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
				- Jeremy S. Anderson

@ 2009-02-20  0:07   ` viona
From: viona @ 2009-02-20  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, I'll try to do that

@ 2009-02-20  5:32 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-02-20  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viona; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

viona writes:
 > Under Aquamacs 1.7 I try to start gdb, and it opens up all the
 > windows, like breakpoints, stack etc,
 > but instead of the buffer with a source code I have a buffer *Buffer
 > List*. How do I fix that?
 > (gdb-show-main is set to true)

It just means that Emacs (Gdb) can't find the main procedure: you've probably
compiled without the -g option.

* Re: gdb gud won't show source code
@ 2009-02-20  5:41     ` viona
From: viona @ 2009-02-20  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've actually did compile with -g. The fact is, that it can't see it
anyway, unless I specify custom output with -o.
I am not sure whether it's supposed behaviour, cause in all tutorials
I've found there are examples with a.out.
Thanks anyway.

* Re: gdb gud won't show source code
@ 2009-02-20  7:32       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viona; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.02.2009 um 06:41 schrieb viona:

> I am not sure whether it's supposed behaviour, cause in all tutorials
> I've found there are examples with a.out.

The name a.out plays no role. Once gdb has started to run the
programme to debug, its sources become available. It helps gdb to
have a .gdbinit file in the directory with the binary to debug. Here
you can record whether the sources are in a different directory. And
more things, for example breakpoints.

--
Greetings

   Pete

One person with a belief is a social power equal to ninety-nine who
have only interests.
				– John Stuart Mill

* Re: gdb gud won't show source code
@ 2009-02-20  9:02       ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-02-20  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viona; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I've actually did compile with -g. The fact is, that it can't see it
 > anyway, unless I specify custom output with -o.
 > I am not sure whether it's supposed behaviour, cause in all tutorials
 > I've found there are examples with a.out.
 > Thanks anyway.

From the command line, if you do (replace myprog with the name of your
program name):

$ gdb myprog
GNU gdb...

(gdb) list
(gdb) info source

what does Gdb print?

You should get `somthing like':

  Current source file is myprog.c
  Compilation directory is /home/nickrob
  Located in /home/nickrob/myprog.c
  Contains 267 lines.
  Source language is c.
  Compiled with DWARF 2 debugging format.
  Does not include preprocessor macro info.

if you compile with "gcc -g -o myprog myprog.c".