all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs dired: unable to view deletion list
@ 2011-04-03 20:17 Xah Lee
       [not found] ` <mailman.7.1301864491.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-04-03 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

this seems to be a UI bug.

in dired, type ~ to flag backup files. Then, type x to delete them.
Dired will prompt you with “Delete D [251 files] (y or n)” with a list
of files to be deleted on the top pane.

However, when you have more files to fit in a window, part of the list
is not visible, and there's no way to view them. You can't page up/
down, cant scroll it. I haven't found a way to view it.

anyone got a method?

 Xah

* Re: emacs dired: unable to view deletion list
@ 2011-04-03 21:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.7.1301864491.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-03 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
>
> this seems to be a UI bug.

No, it's a feature ;-)

> in dired, type ~ to flag backup files. Then, type x to delete them.
> Dired will prompt you with “Delete D [251 files] (y or n)” with a list
> of files to be deleted on the top pane.
>
> However, when you have more files to fit in a window, part of the list
> is not visible, and there's no way to view them. You can't page up/
> down, cant scroll it. I haven't found a way to view it.
>
> anyone got a method?

C-M-v or M-PgDn work for me.

@ 2011-04-03 23:37   ` Xah Lee
       [not found]     ` <mailman.21.1301875617.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-04-03 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 3, 2:01 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > this seems to be a UI bug.
>
> No, it's a feature ;-)
>
> > in dired, type ~ to flag backup files. Then, type x to delete them.
> > Dired will prompt you with “Delete D [251 files] (y or n)” with a list
> > of files to be deleted on the top pane.
>
> > However, when you have more files to fit in a window, part of the list
> > is not visible, and there's no way to view them. You can't page up/
> > down, cant scroll it. I haven't found a way to view it.
>
> > anyone got a method?
>
> C-M-v or M-PgDn work for me.

Thanks!

that's odd... something not apparent in my customization is doing
it... could it dired-plus?

@ 2011-04-04  0:06     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.21.1301875617.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-04-04  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

> > C-M-v or M-PgDn work for me.
>
> Thanks! that's odd... something not apparent in my
> customization is doing it... could it dired-plus?

I don't think so.  With Dired+ I can use C-M-v and C-M-S-v this way without a
problem.

Just a thought: The part of the list that is not shown, at least for me, is the
upper part.  Eli's suggestion of `C-M-v' does nothing in that case, since you
are already at the bottom.  Did you try `C-M-S-v' (aka `C-M-V') to scroll up
instead of down?

@ 2011-04-04  1:56       ` Xah Lee
       [not found]         ` <mailman.25.1301887840.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-04-04  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 3, 5:06 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > C-M-v or M-PgDn work for me.
>
> > Thanks! that's odd... something not apparent in my
> > customization is doing it... could it dired-plus?
>
> I don't think so.  With Dired+ I can use C-M-v and C-M-S-v this way without a
> problem.
>
> Just a thought: The part of the list that is not shown, at least for me, is the
> upper part.  Eli's suggestion of `C-M-v' does nothing in that case, since you
> are already at the bottom.  Did you try `C-M-S-v' (aka `C-M-V') to scroll up
> instead of down?

Thanks Drew.

Found the problem. It is

(defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

though, odd it should be that way. This can be considered a bug?

@ 2011-04-04  3:30         ` Drew Adams
       [not found]         ` <mailman.25.1301887840.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-04-04  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

> Thanks Drew. Found the problem. It is
> (defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)
> though, odd it should be that way. This can be considered a bug?

You might report a usability bug, to see what the Emacs developers think.

My guess, without looking too far, is that this is because `y-or-n-p' reads a
key directly (using `read-key') and looks it up in keymap `query-replace-map'.
The key sequences `C-M-v' and `C-M-V' are not defined there, and it doesn't seem
to look beyond that map.  In that map it only handles certain keys (see the
`cond' in `y-or-n-p').

These are the keys available in the keymap:

,----
| query-replace-map
| -----------------
|
| Keymap that defines the responses to questions in `query-replace'.
| The "bindings" in this map are not commands; they are answers.
| The valid answers include `act', `skip', `act-and-show',
| `exit', `act-and-exit', `edit', `delete-and-edit', `recenter',
| `automatic', `backup', `exit-prefix', and `help'.
|
| key             binding
| ---             -------
|
| C-g		quit
| C-h		help
| C-l		recenter
| RET		exit
| C-r		edit
| C-w		delete-and-edit
| ESC		exit-prefix
| C-]		quit
| SPC		act
| !		automatic
| ,		act-and-show
| .		act-and-exit
| ?		help
| E		edit-replacement
| N		skip
| Y		act
| ^		backup
| e		edit-replacement
| n		skip
| q		exit
| y		act
| DEL		skip
| <backspace>	skip
| <delete>	skip
| <escape>	exit-prefix
| <f1>		help
| <help>		help
| <return>	exit
|
| [back]
`----

HTH

@ 2011-04-04  4:06           ` Xah Lee
       [not found]             ` <mailman.4.1301920341.19829.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-04-04  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 3, 8:30 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Drew. Found the problem. It is
> > (defalias 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)
> > though, odd it should be that way. This can be considered a bug?
>
> You might report a usability bug, to see what the Emacs developers think.
>
> My guess, without looking too far, is that this is because `y-or-n-p' reads a
> key directly (using `read-key') and looks it up in keymap `query-replace-map'.
> The key sequences `C-M-v' and `C-M-V' are not defined there, and it doesn't seem
> to look beyond that map.  In that map it only handles certain keys (see the
> `cond' in `y-or-n-p').
>
> These are the keys available in the keymap:
>
> ,----
> | query-replace-map
> | -----------------
> |
> | Keymap that defines the responses to questions in `query-replace'.
> | The "bindings" in this map are not commands; they are answers.
> | The valid answers include `act', `skip', `act-and-show',
> | `exit', `act-and-exit', `edit', `delete-and-edit', `recenter',
> | `automatic', `backup', `exit-prefix', and `help'.
> |
> | key             binding
> | ---             -------
> |
> | C-g           quit
> | C-h           help
> | C-l           recenter
> | RET           exit
> | C-r           edit
> | C-w           delete-and-edit
> | ESC           exit-prefix
> | C-]           quit
> | SPC           act
> | !             automatic
> | ,             act-and-show
> | .             act-and-exit
> | ?             help
> | E             edit-replacement
> | N             skip
> | Y             act
> | ^             backup
> | e             edit-replacement
> | n             skip
> | q             exit
> | y             act
> | DEL           skip
> | <backspace>     skip
> | <delete>        skip
> | <escape>        exit-prefix
> | <f1>            help
> | <help>          help
> | <return>        exit
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> HTH

thanks Drew. I filed a bug report. Subject: possible bug: Delete File
List Not Visible when yes-or-no aliased to y-or-n-p

don't know the bug number yet.

@ 2011-04-04 12:31             ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]             ` <mailman.4.1301920341.19829.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-04-04 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
    thanks Drew. I filed a bug report. Subject: possible bug: Delete File
    List Not Visible when yes-or-no aliased to y-or-n-p

    don't know the bug number yet.

I noticed that the post didn't include a number in the subject line.

@ 2011-04-04 13:59               ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-04-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger wrote:
> Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:
>     thanks Drew. I filed a bug report. Subject: possible bug: Delete File
>     List Not Visible when yes-or-no aliased to y-or-n-p
>
>     don't know the bug number yet.
>
> I noticed that the post didn't include a number in the subject line.

Could that specific problem be avoided by reassigning via fset rather
than defalias?:

(fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)

Ed

* Re: emacs dired: unable to view deletion list
@ 2011-04-04 17:44                 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-04-04 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 4, 6:59 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Sean Sieger wrote:
> > Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
> >     thanks Drew. I filed a bug report. Subject: possible bug: Delete File
> >     List Not Visible when yes-or-no aliased to y-or-n-p
>
> >     don't know the bug number yet.
>
> > I noticed that the post didn't include a number in the subject line.
>
> Could that specific problem be avoided by reassigning via fset rather
> than defalias?:
>
> (fset 'yes-or-no-p 'y-or-n-p)
>
> Ed

interesting suggestion. Haven't used fset before, might be useful.

it didn't help in this case though.

PS the bug number is http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8418

 Xah