all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to tell which *.el file loaded?
@ 2004-05-26  9:05 bill
From: bill @ 2004-05-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a simple way to confirm which of several possible foo.el
files in the system was loaded by (require 'foo) ?  (I'm thinking
along the lines of something I can stick in the desired foo.el that
will confirm to me that it was it that was loaded by (require 'foo)
.)

Thank you,

	-bill

* Re: How to tell which *.el file loaded?
@ 2004-05-26  9:38 ` Lawrence Mitchell
       [not found] ` <mailman.7474.1085565100.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2004-05-26  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

bill wrote:

> Is there a simple way to confirm which of several possible foo.el
> files in the system was loaded by (require 'foo) ?  (I'm thinking
> along the lines of something I can stick in the desired foo.el that
> will confirm to me that it was it that was loaded by (require 'foo)
> .)

Doing (locate-library "foo") will tell you which foo.el or
foo.elc Emacs found.  Emacs prefers byte-compiled (foo.elc) over
source (foo.el) files, so, should you modify foo.el, and a
foo.elc exists, you'll have to recompile it.

You can also look at the output of

M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: How to tell which *.el file loaded?
@ 2004-05-26  9:43 ` Kai Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.7474.1085565100.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-26  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

bill <please_post@nomail.edu> writes:

> Is there a simple way to confirm which of several possible foo.el
> files in the system was loaded by (require 'foo) ?  (I'm thinking
> along the lines of something I can stick in the desired foo.el that
> will confirm to me that it was it that was loaded by (require 'foo)
> .)

(message "Hi, I'm here.")
(sleep-for 3)           ; 3 seconds

Please note that Emacs will load the *.elc file, if it exists.  That
is, you may wish to re-byte-compile your foo.el, if it was
byte-compiled before.

Kai

@ 2004-05-26 15:43   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-05-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:
 > (message "Hi, I'm here.")

You may as well do:

(message "Hi, my name is %s" load-file-name)

--
Kevin Rodgers