all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* glitch when printing from Win 7
@ 2013-06-02 20:12 zeb7k
From: zeb7k @ 2013-06-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When in Windows 7 I often use the print-region command from EMACS (23.2.1) to send text to the printer.  My lpr-command is the name of simple .bat file I use which simply accepts the temp file name that EMACS passes it and tells NotePad.exe to print it.

Well, under conditions I cannot fathom, the name that EMACS passes has some weird escape character at its beginning.  This happens about 5% of the times I try to print.  Once it does happen, it happens consistently.   I end up having to print manually: running NotePad, yanking from EMACS, pasting into NotePad and printing from the NotePad menu.   The next day, the problem is gone.  Kind of annoying.  Any ideas?

* Re: glitch when printing from Win 7
@ 2013-06-03  2:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.904.1370227127.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-06-03  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: zeb7k@hotmail.com
>
> When in Windows 7 I often use the print-region command from EMACS (23.2.1) to send text to the printer.  My lpr-command is the name of simple .bat file I use which simply accepts the temp file name that EMACS passes it and tells NotePad.exe to print it.
>
> Well, under conditions I cannot fathom, the name that EMACS passes has some weird escape character at its beginning.  This happens about 5% of the times I try to print.  Once it does happen, it happens consistently.   I end up having to print manually: running NotePad, yanking from EMACS, pasting into NotePad and printing from the NotePad menu.   The next day, the problem is gone.  Kind of annoying.  Any ideas?

Show us the "weird escape character" you get.  Is it the same
character every time?

@ 2013-06-03 10:05   ` zeb7k
From: zeb7k @ 2013-06-03 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I will have to wait until it happens again.  I echo the parameter to a log.

* Re: glitch when printing from Win 7
@ 2013-06-04 13:41     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-06-04 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/3/13 4:05 AM, zeb7k@hotmail.com wrote:
> I will have to wait until it happens again.  I echo the parameter to a log.

If you append the data to log with >> instead of overwriting the log with >,
you would have a complete history and wouldn't have to wait.  :-)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2013-07-11 11:12 ` zeb7k
       [not found]   ` <mailman.843.1373562166.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: zeb7k @ 2013-07-11 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It finally happened again.

Here are the pertinent commands in my .EMACS startup file:

   (setq lpr-command "P:/PrintFile/PrintFile.bat")
   (setq printer-name nil)
   (setq lpr-headers-switches "/p")

Here is the batch file PrintFile.bat:

echo appdrive is %APPDRIVE% > x:\PrintTrace.log
echo 1 is %1 >> x:\PrintTrace.log
echo 2 is %2 >> x:\PrintTrace.log
regedit.exe /s %APPDRIVE%:\PrintFile\NotePad.reg
NotePad.exe %1 %2

(Sometimes I adjust the font in Notepad and forget to switch it back.  The regedit command simply makes sure Notepad.exe is working with the same font size I always use for printing.)

Here is the contents of PrintTrace.log as viewed in fundamental mode:

appdrive is P
1 is /p
2 is \213\257\250t:\Temp\EP4252h0o

Note the three octal characters in front of the file name.  This is what's gumming things up.  Why is this happening?

* Re: glitch when printing from Win 7
@ 2013-07-11 17:02   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.843.1373562166.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-11 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 04:12:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: zeb7k@hotmail.com
>
> Here are the pertinent commands in my .EMACS startup file:
>
>    (setq lpr-command "P:/PrintFile/PrintFile.bat")
>    (setq printer-name nil)
>    (setq lpr-headers-switches "/p")
>
> Here is the batch file PrintFile.bat:
>
> echo appdrive is %APPDRIVE% > x:\PrintTrace.log
> echo 1 is %1 >> x:\PrintTrace.log
> echo 2 is %2 >> x:\PrintTrace.log
> regedit.exe /s %APPDRIVE%:\PrintFile\NotePad.reg
> NotePad.exe %1 %2
>
> (Sometimes I adjust the font in Notepad and forget to switch it back.  The regedit command simply makes sure Notepad.exe is working with the same font size I always use for printing.)
>
> Here is the contents of PrintTrace.log as viewed in fundamental mode:
>
> appdrive is P
> 1 is /p
> 2 is \213\257\250t:\Temp\EP4252h0o
>
> Note the three octal characters in front of the file name.  This is what's gumming things up.  Why is this happening?

Which version of Emacs is that?  And what is the value of
buffer-file-coding-system in the buffer which you tried to print?

@ 2013-07-11 17:33     ` zeb7k
       [not found]       ` <mailman.858.1373567307.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: zeb7k @ 2013-07-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

* Re: glitch when printing from Win 7
@ 2013-07-11 18:21       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.858.1373567307.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-11 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:33:23 -0700 (PDT)
> From: zeb7k@hotmail.com
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

That's quite old.  Any reasons not to try the latest v24.3?

@ 2013-07-11 21:12         ` zeb7k
From: zeb7k @ 2013-07-11 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'll upgrade now and post again if need be.  Thanks.