On 4/4/20 1:55 AM, martin rudalics wrote: > >  > The basic slowness of Emacs over the past years is a direct consequence > >  > of that policy. > > > > How many users is that true for? When Emacs is slow for me, it's usually > because of very long lines. Is that the same issue, or a different one? > > As mentioned in my answer to Stefan the most recent issue I noticed is > that mouse-wheel scrolling buffers for xdisp.c and dispextern.h consumes > 100% of my CPU and still takes some ten seconds to complete. I looked into this, and although it's no doubt fundamentally due to a slow algorithm, the slowness is exacerbated if you use -Og (which you appear to be using). Stefan's recent message hinted at this. I installed the attached into master to try to fix the -Og issue; please give it a try. The slow algorithm should be fixed too, but I'm no expert there. > > Is that the Black Edition 5000+ or the regular one? The Black Edition was > quite the thing in 2007. :-) > > How would I find out? Your BIOS right after cycling power, I expect. It's not high priority to find out. As I vaguely recall the main advantage of the Black Edition is that you could overclock, and if you had a Black Edition my next suggestion was going to be a joke that you should overclock your ancient and slow CPU to make your Emacs faster....