On 02.08.2017 23:39, Ryan Thompson wrote: > Ok, that's good to know. That page claims that Emacs "highlights > confusing opening delimiters (those that ought to be quoted) in bold > red", but I'm not seeing that in this case. Is there some setting to > enable this, or is it likely that some other elisp package I have > installed is interfering with this highlighting? Or can Emacs not > catch this kind of misplaced paren in a string? > You might be interested in stuff like ar-backward-defun from https://github.com/andreas-roehler/thingatpt-utils-core/blob/master/ar-subr.el which at least enables to jump to beginning-of-defun in these cases.