all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x magit-status freezes emacs
@ 2017-02-27 16:30 Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-02-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Dear all,

I have barely started to program using emacs in Python and this major
issue has come up.

For now though, I use the shell and do all my git stuff.

But when in a repository I type M-x magit-status the entire Emacs hangs.

I can surely press C-g to get back on track but I am not able to use magit.

I researched a bit and found that there is some issue with Emacs 24.5
with magit.

But I am not getting any complete solution to fix this.

Can any one help?

Happy hacking.

Krishnakant.

* Re: M-x magit-status freezes emacs
@ 2017-02-27 23:47 ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2017-02-27 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Krishnakant

Krishnakant <krmane@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> I have barely started to program using emacs in Python and this major
> issue has come up.
>
> For now though, I use the shell and do all my git stuff.
>
> But when in a repository I type M-x magit-status the entire Emacs
> hangs.
>
> I can surely press C-g to get back on track but I am not able to use
> magit.
>
> I researched a bit and found that there is some issue with Emacs 24.5
> with magit.
>
> But I am not getting any complete solution to fix this.
>
> Can any one help?

I don't think I ever ran into this, but Magit has an FAQ entry[1] that
points to a bug[2] that seems to say the issue is related to Tramp and
that you can work around it with this:

(setq tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options "")

[1]: https://magit.vc/manual/magit/Emacs-245-hangs-when-loading-Magit.html#Emacs-245-hangs-when-loading-Magit
[2]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20015

Hope that helps

        John

* Re: M-x magit-status freezes emacs
@ 2017-02-28  5:24   ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-02-28  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mastro, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Tuesday 28 February 2017 05:17 AM, John Mastro wrote:
> Krishnakant <krmane@openmailbox.org> wrote:
>> I have barely started to program using emacs in Python and this major
>> issue has come up.
>>
>> For now though, I use the shell and do all my git stuff.
>>
>> But when in a repository I type M-x magit-status the entire Emacs
>> hangs.
>>
>> I can surely press C-g to get back on track but I am not able to use
>> magit.
>>
>> I researched a bit and found that there is some issue with Emacs 24.5
>> with magit.
>>
>> But I am not getting any complete solution to fix this.
>>
>> Can any one help?
> I don't think I ever ran into this, but Magit has an FAQ entry[1] that
> points to a bug[2] that seems to say the issue is related to Tramp and
> that you can work around it with this:
>
> (setq tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options "")
>
> [1]: https://magit.vc/manual/magit/Emacs-245-hangs-when-loading-Magit.html#Emacs-245-hangs-when-loading-Magit
> [2]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20015
>
> Hope that helps

That indeed helped it works fine now.