all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-18 22:41 srdjan.markovich
       [not found] ` <mailman.9207.1205951581.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: srdjan.markovich @ 2008-03-18 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Is there a way to display list of hard drives, and available space on
them, in dired mode (something like df in linux) on Windows machines?

Thank you

* Re: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-19 18:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.9207.1205951581.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "srdjan.markovich@gmail.com" <srdjan.markovich@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Is there a way to display list of hard drives, and available space on
> them, in dired mode (something like df in linux) on Windows machines?

Yes, download the Windows port of GNU df (it's part of the Coreutils
package and is available from the GnuWin32 project site).  It's a bit
buggy, but it does the job in most cases.

* Re: Dired hd drives list
       [not found] ` <mailman.9207.1205951581.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-19 21:07   ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-03-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "srdjan.markovich@gmail.com" <srdjan.markovich@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>> Is there a way to display list of hard drives, and available space on
>> them, in dired mode (something like df in linux) on Windows machines?
>
> Yes, download the Windows port of GNU df (it's part of the Coreutils
> package and is available from the GnuWin32 project site).  It's a bit
> buggy, but it does the job in most cases.

How would you incorporate the output from df into a dired listing?

Also, cygwin also has that program available as part of the cygwin
suite.

- Chris

* Re: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-20 20:21     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-20 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net>
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:07:19 -0400
>
> How would you incorporate the output from df into a dired listing?

Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output for the
filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I cannot figure out
why would I want to see other filesystems together with that?

* RE: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-20 21:49       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-03-20 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> > How would you incorporate the output from df into a dired listing?
>
> Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output for the
> filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I cannot figure out
> why would I want to see other filesystems together with that?

I think it would be good - why not?

It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer is selected in the
folder tree. Saying that this would be useless for Dired is like saying that
it is useless for Windows Explorer. It gives you a top-level view of all
drives (and, in Windows Explorer, also some other things such as Control
Panel).

The Unix notion of root directory, /, only partly corresponds to the Windows
notion of individual drive root, e.g. c:\. In another sense, it could be
said to correspond to My Computer, that is, to a top level that includes all
drives.

Dired has no equivalent of the My Computer level, I'd guess, because of its
Unix bias and legacy. That's OK as a historical explanation, but it doesn't
mean such a feature wouldn't be useful.

* Re: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-21 12:31         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9291.1206102730.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-21 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:49:50 -0700
>
> It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer is selected in the
> folder tree.

I have no objection to adding a special ``My Computer''
pseudo-directory in Dired, where all the filesystems would be shown.
But the OP wanted that as part of every directory, or at least that's
what I thought he wanted.

* Re: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-21 16:19         ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9291.1206102730.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> > How would you incorporate the output from df into a dired listing?
>>
>> Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output for the
>> filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I cannot figure out
>> why would I want to see other filesystems together with that?

[...]

> Dired has no equivalent of the My Computer level, I'd guess, because
> of its Unix bias and legacy. That's OK as a historical explanation,
> but it doesn't mean such a feature wouldn't be useful.

How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: Dired hd drives list
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9291.1206102730.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-21 18:01           ` srdjan.markovich
From: srdjan.markovich @ 2008-03-21 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 21, 1:31 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com>
> > Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:49:50 -0700
>
> > It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer is selected in the
> > folder tree.
>
> I have no objection to adding a special ``My Computer''
> pseudo-directory in Dired, where all the filesystems would be shown.
> But the OP wanted that as part of every directory, or at least that's
> what I thought he wanted.

This is very essential thing. If I have printer, camera and usb
attached to my comp and if I want to copy (or save) file to USB flash
drive I must go to win eplorer and open My Computer directory to see
which drive is my USB flash and then go back to Emacs and type that
letter in the path...Silly, isn't it?

* RE: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-21 19:44           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-03-21 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Joel J. Adamson'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> >> Why would one like it?  Dired already shows that output
for the
> >> filesystem where the listed directory lives, but I
cannot
> >> figure out why would I want to see other filesystems
together
> >> with that?
>
> > Dired has no equivalent of the My Computer level, I'd
guess, because
> > of its Unix bias and legacy. That's OK as a historical
explanation,
> > but it doesn't mean such a feature wouldn't be useful.
>
> How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?

Not useful at all. I thought that was clear.

But how useful to Unix users is Emacs's use of a drive name
such as `c:'? Not useful at all - they don't even see it.
And they wouldn't see the equivalent of a My Computer level
in Dired, either - that would be for Windows users only,
just like `c:'.

There is not a simple one-to-one mapping between Windows's
file-system representation and Unix's, as I mentioned. In
one sense, the equivalent of the Unix root folder, for
Windows, is the My Computer level. In Dired on Unix you
already have such a top-level view. In Dired on Windows, you
do not. This is about adding that missing view.

* RE: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-21 19:49             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-03-21 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srdjan.markovich, help-gnu-emacs

> > > It's what we have in Windows Explorer when My Computer
is
> > > selected in the folder tree.
> >
> > I have no objection to adding a special ``My Computer''
> > pseudo-directory in Dired, where all the filesystems
would be shown.
> > But the OP wanted that as part of every directory, or at

> > least that's what I thought he wanted.
>
> This is very essential thing. If I have printer, camera
and usb
> attached to my comp and if I want to copy (or save) file
to USB flash
> drive I must go to win eplorer and open My Computer
directory to see
> which drive is my USB flash and then go back to Emacs and
type that
> letter in the path...Silly, isn't it?

The question Eli raises is whether you need that info about
all drives in _each_ Dired directory listing. I don't hear
you saying "yes".

I think what you are asking for is just to be able to go up
(`..') in Dired from some drive listing such as c: or d: to
the My Computer level, where you would see the space etc.
info for all drives - just as you do now in Windows
Explorer. Isn't that what you want?

* Re: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-21 21:18             ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-03-21 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> There is not a simple one-to-one mapping between Windows's
> file-system representation and Unix's, as I mentioned.

One of the reasons I use Unix ;)

> In one sense, the equivalent of the Unix root folder, for Windows, is
> the My Computer level. In Dired on Unix you already have such a
> top-level view. In Dired on Windows, you do not. This is about adding
> that missing view.

OT for Emacs: You can get such a listing in KDE, with its system:/
ioslave.

Joel

--

@ 2008-03-22  9:03             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-22  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Cc: "'Eli Zaretskii'" <eliz@gnu.org>, <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:44:17 -0700
>
> > How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?
>
> Not useful at all. I thought that was clear.

I don't see why not: `df' shows several filesystems on Unix as well.

* RE: Dired hd drives list
@ 2008-03-22 15:14               ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-03-22 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii', help-gnu-emacs

> > > How useful would it be to those of us that use Unix?
> >
> > Not useful at all. I thought that was clear.
>
> I don't see why not: `df' shows several filesystems on Unix as well.

Oh, OK, go for it. I was thinking of the My Computer level as, in a sense,
analogous to the Unix root directory. In Windows, going `up' from c: is a common
operation in Windows Explorer (though `cd ..' doesn't get you there, any more
than `cd ..' lets you go up from the root directory on Unix).

So sure, why not? That makes sense.

But `df' is not really analogous to Windows Explorer's My Computer level either.
`df' prints disk-space information no matter where you are, and it doesn't
change your location.

I was understanding the OP as suggesting that we add a `top' My Computer-like
pseudo directory to Dired, which you would get to, say, via `..' from c:, not a
command like `df' that leaves you where you are but prints info for all drives.
Dunno which the OP had in mind.

Perhaps a command that just prints the info would be better in some ways,
instead of mimicking Windows Explorer by giving you a navigable place
(pseudo-directory) to view everything. The notion of current directory wouldn't
be problematic then. An advantage of the Windows Explorer-like approach is that
it does fit in with navigation, so you could do things like insert subdirs. The
`df' command approach would no doubt be easier to implement (nothing to do, for
Unix) and less problematic.