all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ECB question...
@ 2004-04-28 21:17 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2004-04-28 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all. I'm using the latest version of ECB. It is a pretty amazing tool.
I have, however, stumbled upon my first annoying problem/side-effect.

Sometimes, when trying to use the completion buffer to finish a command when
I'm typing using M-x "some-command", the completion buffer is opened in one
of the ecb windows. I find this rather annoying. The normal
behavior(assuming one is not using ECB) is for it to split the current
window. In the case of ECB, I'd like the window splitting(from completions
or for whatever else) to ignore the ecb windows and only split/change the
main edit window. How can I accomplish this?

I hope that I have been clear. :-) Thanks in advance.

--
Javier

* Re: ECB question...
@ 2004-04-29  6:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-04-29  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:17:01 -0400
>
> Sometimes, when trying to use the completion buffer to finish a command when
> I'm typing using M-x "some-command", the completion buffer is opened in one
> of the ecb windows. I find this rather annoying. The normal
> behavior(assuming one is not using ECB) is for it to split the current
> window. In the case of ECB, I'd like the window splitting(from completions
> or for whatever else) to ignore the ecb windows and only split/change the
> main edit window. How can I accomplish this?

Not exactly what you wanted, but perhaps a solution nonetheless: you
can arrange for Emacs to pop up the completions buffer in a separate
frame.  That way, completions never mess with your window
configuration, in or outside of ECB.

To see how to arrange for that, read the documentation of the variable
special-display-buffer-names.

* Re: ECB question...
@ 2004-04-29  7:41 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-04-29  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Javier Oviedo wrote:

>  Hello all. I'm using the latest version of ECB. It is a pretty amazing
>  tool. I have, however, stumbled upon my first annoying problem/side-effect.
>
>  Sometimes, when trying to use the completion buffer to finish a command
>  when I'm typing using M-x "some-command", the completion buffer is opened
>  in one of the ecb windows. I find this rather annoying. The normal
>  behavior(assuming one is not using ECB) is for it to split the current
>  window. In the case of ECB, I'd like the window splitting(from completions
>  or for whatever else) to ignore the ecb windows and only split/change the
>  main edit window. How can I accomplish this?
>
>  I hope that I have been clear. :-) Thanks in advance.

First of all i should mention that all problem-reports should go to the
ECB-mailing list because ECB is not contained in the standard-distribution of
GNU Emacs (but maybe this would be not a bad idea ;-).

Well, back to your problem:

Please send a full bug-report with the command `ecb-submit-problem-report' to
the ECB-mailing-list.

In addition it would be fine if you could track down a situation which
reproduces the problem with a high percentage-rate, ie. a situation where the
problem either always or at least very often occurs - so i can reproduce it
with my environment.

Background: ECB-layout-engine should never use an ECB-window for displaying a
completion and for me it never does (and the last problem-report containing
such a problem arrives about one year ago!). But maybe with your environment
you have detected a new situation which ECB takes not into account. But in
general the adviced `display-buffer' of ECB is made to behave as if your frame
does not contain ECB-windows so it should give you the feeling as if the
edit-windows of the edit-area are the only windows of the frame. And until
your bug-report it gaves this feeling ;-)

Ciao,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: ECB question...
@ 2004-04-29 13:53   ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2004-04-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay. I have noticed the same behavior in other cases. I will try to get an
easily reproducible test case...at least one that happens in my
configuration/environment.

Thanks!

--
Javier