all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 12:52 Mark A. Odell
From: Mark A. Odell @ 2004-04-27 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for a complete list of extended commands, e.g. goto-line. I've
downloaded the sources and grep'd for such things but I'm having no luck. I'm
trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs so I'd like to know what
extended commands are available. Right now I only have ALT-g mapped to
goto-line, not much of a Brief keymap yet.

Thanks,

- Mark

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 13:28 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-04-27 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Mark A. Odell wrote:

>  I am looking for a complete list of extended commands, e.g. goto-line. I've
>  downloaded the sources and grep'd for such things but I'm having no luck.
>  I'm trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs so I'd like to know
>  what extended commands are available. Right now I only have ALT-g mapped to
>  goto-line, not much of a Brief keymap yet.

What do you mean with *extended* commands?

Does M-x apropos-command RET and then inserting .* help?
This gives you an alphabetical list of all currently loaded commands.

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 14:13 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2004-04-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs

Have you tried M-x brief-mode ?

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 15:17   ` Mark A. Odell
From: Mark A. Odell @ 2004-04-27 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <87fzapfr0n.fsf@indigo.shootybangbang.com>, "John Paul Wallington"
<jpw@gnu.org> wrote:

> "Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> writes:
>> I'm trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs

> Have you tried M-x brief-mode ?

No. I shall.

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 15:21     ` Mark A. Odell
From: Mark A. Odell @ 2004-04-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <c6ltiq$di49k$1@ID-74514.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Mark A. Odell"
<odellmark@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In article <87fzapfr0n.fsf@indigo.shootybangbang.com>, "John Paul
> Wallington" <jpw@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> "Mark A. Odell" <odellmark@hotmail.com> writes:
>>> I'm trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs
>
>> Have you tried M-x brief-mode ?
> No. I shall.

Hmm... not a very good Brief. ALT-c doesn't select rectangles, ALT-k doesn't
delete from cursor to end-of-line, etc.

Thanks anyhow.

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-27 15:23   ` Mark A. Odell
From: Mark A. Odell @ 2004-04-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ubrldzh1j.fsf@sdm.de>, "Klaus Berndl" <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Mark A. Odell wrote:
>>  I am looking for a complete list of extended commands, e.g. goto-line.
>>  I've downloaded the sources and grep'd for such things but I'm having no
>>  luck. I'm trying to build a Brief keymap for use in Emacs so I'd like to
>>  know what extended commands are available. Right now I only have ALT-g
>>  mapped to goto-line, not much of a Brief keymap yet.

> What do you mean with *extended* commands?  Does M-x apropos-command RET and
> then inserting .* help? This gives you an alphabetical list of all currently
> loaded commands.  Klaus

That's exactly what I meant by extended commands. Not knowing that ESC-x
apropos-command RET existed I was at a loss. Thanks so much.

@ 2004-04-27 20:18       ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2004-04-27 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Have you tried M-x brief-mode ?
>> No. I shall.
>
> Hmm... not a very good Brief. ALT-c doesn't select rectangles, ALT-k doesn't
> delete from cursor to end-of-line, etc.
> Thanks anyhow.

Well, it's a start.  It may also be useful to do C-h b when
`brief-mode' is active to get a listing of the bindings it uses.

You could report the missing bindings via M-x report-emacs-bug -
perhaps someone could enhance the library.  Maybe it should
distinguish between crisp and brief emulation if their command sets
differ.

* Re: newbie: is there a complete list of extended commands?
@ 2004-04-29 15:12   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> What do you mean with *extended* commands?

C-h k M-x -- see the word extended?

I try M-x ? from time to time.  Completion is a wonderful thing.

Kai