all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: META-x grep question
       [not found] ` <108aqvfer3ne6ab@corp.supernews.com>
@ 2004-04-21  6:22   ` Brian Johansen
From: Brian Johansen @ 2004-04-21  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roodwriter@core.com wrote:
> Brian Johansen wrote:
>

>>Hi !
>>
>>Does anyone know how to change the default arguments when using the grep
>>command within emacs ??
>>When choosing META-x grep
>>It defaults to grep -n -e
>>and I want it to: grep -n -e <search text> '*.[ch]'
>>and possibly set the cursor at <search text> ready for input.
>>
>>Is that possible ?? and how ?
>>
>>regards
>>
>>Brian
>

> I also changed the default. It's in the customization screens under
> "Options." Wish I could remember exactly where.
>
> --Rod
>
> __________
>
> Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
> and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
> http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html
>
> To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

Thanks ! That works !
Do you know if one could put it in the .emacs file instead ??

BR

Brian

* Re: META-x grep question
@ 2004-04-21 14:20     ` FCC
From: FCC @ 2004-04-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Johansen wrote:
> Roodwriter@core.com wrote:
>
>> Brian Johansen wrote:
>>

>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to change the default arguments when using the grep
>>> command within emacs ??
>>> When choosing META-x grep
>>> It defaults to grep -n -e
>>> and I want it to: grep -n -e <search text> '*.[ch]'
>>> and possibly set the cursor at <search text> ready for input.
>>>
>>> Is that possible ?? and how ?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Brian
>>

>> I also changed the default. It's in the customization screens under
>> "Options." Wish I could remember exactly where.
>> --Rod
>>
>> __________
>>
>> Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
>> Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
>> http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html
>>
>> To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.
>>
> Thanks ! That works !
> Do you know if one could put it in the .emacs file instead ??
>
> BR
>
> Brian
I have in my _emacs file a section called custom-set variables, and
there I have many entries along with:

'(grep-command "grep --regexp=\"\\B!.*\" --only-matching --no-filename
FNAME.f90")

which basically displays all the comments in file FNAME.f90. You can
edit anything inside "".

FCC.

* Re: META-x grep question
@ 2004-04-21 21:53       ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-04-21 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

FCC <fcc509@netscape.net> writes:

>> Thanks ! That works !
>> Do you know if one could put it in the .emacs file instead ??
>> BR
>> Brian
>I have in my _emacs file a section called custom-set variables, and
>there I have many entries along with:
>
>'(grep-command "grep --regexp=\"\\B!.*\" --only-matching --no-filename
>FNAME.f90")
>
>which basically displays all the comments in file FNAME.f90. You can
>edit anything inside "".

It's not a good idea to advise novices to edit their
custom-set-variables directly.  Much better to make the changes
within the customize buffer, and then click the button labled
"Save for Future Sessions".  That will update the custom-set-variables
section of your .emacs file.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: META-x grep question
@ 2004-04-22  6:49         ` Brian Johansen
From: Brian Johansen @ 2004-04-22  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks to you all !

I had not noticed that my .emacs file was changed by using the
customization buffer. Great !

BR

Brian

* Re: META-x grep question
@ 2004-04-27 13:35           ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2004-04-27 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Johansen <__BRJ@brijo.dk> writes:

> Thanks to you all !
>
> I had not noticed that my .emacs file was changed by using the
> customization buffer. Great !
>
> BR
>
> Brian

Speaking of grep.... does anyone know what's wrong with it in CVS?

M-x grep  gives me

execute-extended-command: Symbol's value as variable is void: grep-mode

Thanks for the help.

John