all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LaTeX Keybindings for Math Symbols
@ 2006-04-27 15:10 Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-04-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to create Latex keybindings for math symbols (or find out
what they are if they already exist).  For example, in Vim I used to
have mappings for `t -> \tau so that typing ` and then a english
character would insert the Latex math code for the corresponding greek
symbol (`a would insert \alpha and `b would insert \beta ...).

My first attempts at writing a key binding have failed:
(global-set-key "`q" "\theta")
leads to:
error: "Key sequence ` q uses invalid prefix characters"

So, I think part of the problem is that I need a valid set of
short-cut keys where I can set a,b,d,t, q, w, ...  versions to things.

Do such mappings for latex greek characters already exist?  If not,
can someone help me with an example of a valid global-set-key?

Thanks,

Ryan

* Re: LaTeX Keybindings for Math Symbols
       [not found] <mailman.1028.1146150618.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-27 15:36 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-04-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1028.1146150618.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Ryan Krauss wrote:

> I would like to create Latex keybindings for math symbols (or find
> out what they are if they already exist).  For example, in Vim I
> used to have mappings for `t -> \tau so that typing ` and then a
> english character would insert the Latex math code for the
> corresponding greek symbol (`a would insert \alpha and `b would
> insert \beta ...).
>
> My first attempts at writing a key binding have failed:
> (global-set-key "`q" "\theta")
> leads to:
> error: "Key sequence ` q uses invalid prefix characters"
>
> So, I think part of the problem is that I need a valid set of
> short-cut keys where I can set a,b,d,t, q, w, ...  versions to things.
>
> Do such mappings for latex greek characters already exist?  If not,
> can someone help me with an example of a valid global-set-key?

Are you aware of the existence of AucTeX?

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/

It looks as if you want to reinvent the wheel. In particular if you
enter Math Mode 'a inserts \alpha.
--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: LaTeX Keybindings for Math Symbols
@ 2006-04-27 15:52   ` Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-04-27 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you.  As I googled around for a while, I eventually came across
auctex, and it does seem like what I want.  I was not aware of it when
I made the original post, but I am now.

Thanks,

Ryan

@ 2006-04-27 16:25 ` Reiner Steib
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1033.1146157859.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 27 2006, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> I would like to create Latex keybindings for math symbols (or find out
> what they are if they already exist).  For example, in Vim I used to
> have mappings for `t -> \tau so that typing ` and then a english
> character would insert the Latex math code for the corresponding greek
> symbol (`a would insert \alpha and `b would insert \beta ...).

In case you use AUCTeX:

,----[ (info "(auctex)Mathematics") ]
| 5.1 Entering Mathematics
| ========================
|
| TeX is written by a mathematician, and has always contained good
| support for formatting mathematical text.  AUCTeX supports this
| tradition, by offering a special minor mode for entering text with many
| mathematical symbols.  You can enter this mode by typing `C-c ~'.
|
|  -- Command: LaTeX-math-mode
|      (`C-c ~') Toggle LaTeX-math-mode.  This is a minor mode rebinding
|      the key `LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix' to allow easy typing of
|      mathematical symbols.  ``' will read a character from the keyboard,
|      and insert the symbol as specified in `LaTeX-math-list'.  If given
|      a prefix argument, the symbol will be surrounded by dollar signs.
|
|    You can use another prefix key (instead of ``') by  setting the
| variable `LaTeX-math-abbrev-prefix'.
|
|    To enable LaTeX-math-mode by default, add the following in your
| `.emacs' file:
|      (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-math-mode)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: LaTeX Keybindings for Math Symbols
@ 2006-04-27 17:10   ` Ryan Krauss
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1033.1146157859.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-04-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks.  I had stumbled across that.

Is there a reason that the auctex menu doesn't have a \begin{equation}
option?  What is \begin{math}?

Thanks,

Ryan

@ 2006-04-27 19:03     ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-04-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1033.1146157859.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Ryan Krauss wrote:
> Thanks.  I had stumbled across that.
>
> Is there a reason that the auctex menu doesn't have a \begin{equation}
> option?  What is \begin{math}?

In never use menus but environments are entered in Auctex by C-c-e and
then you are prompted for the environment, with tab completion as
usual. \begin{math} is usually abbreviated as $ or \(, for inline equations.

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: LaTeX Keybindings for Math Symbols
@ 2006-04-27 20:04       ` Ryan Krauss
From: Ryan Krauss @ 2006-04-27 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks again.  C-c-e seems to work well.

I submitted this to the AucTeX list as well, but any idea how to
define a custom math-mode completion.  There doesn't seem to be a key
binding for \frac and \ddot.

@ 2006-04-27 21:48     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-04-27 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Please don't do top-posting. ]

On Thu, Apr 27 2006, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> On 4/27/06, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
[...]
>> In case you use AUCTeX:
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(auctex)Mathematics") ]
[...]
> Thanks.  I had stumbled across that.
>
> Is there a reason that the auctex menu doesn't have a \begin{equation}
> option?

<menu-bar> <LaTeX> <Insert Environment> <enumerate ... filecontents>
<equation>

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,