all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mac OS X (cocoa editon) azerty [ { problem
@ 2009-01-29 23:41 Pieter Laeremans
From: Pieter Laeremans @ 2009-01-29 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I've downloaded and compiled the latest version of GNU emacs on Mac OS
X (10.5.6).

I use an azerty keyboard but emacs doesn't handle the following
symbols correctly

{ [  and \

In a normal application for example I can input { by pushing (option
alais alt 5),
Emacs interprets this as M-5 instead of just inserting the right
symbol.

It is not clear to me how to turn this of.

Thanks in advance!

Pieter

* Re: Mac OS X (cocoa editon) azerty [ { problem
@ 2009-01-30  0:18 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <mailman.6221.1233308367.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-01-30  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pieter Laeremans <pieter@laeremans.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've downloaded and compiled the latest version of GNU emacs on Mac OS
> X (10.5.6).
>
> I use an azerty keyboard but emacs doesn't handle the following
> symbols correctly
>
> { [  and \
>
> In a normal application for example I can input { by pushing (option
> alais alt 5),
> Emacs interprets this as M-5 instead of just inserting the right
> symbol.
>
> It is not clear to me how to turn this of.

Stop being silly!  Switch to QWERTY!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Mac OS X (cocoa editon) azerty [ { problem
@ 2009-01-30  9:39 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.6221.1233308367.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2009-01-30  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pieter Laeremans <pieter@laeremans.org> writes:
> I use an azerty keyboard but emacs doesn't handle the following
> symbols correctly
>
> { [  and \
>
> In a normal application for example I can input { by pushing (option
> alais alt 5),
> Emacs interprets this as M-5 instead of just inserting the right
> symbol.
>
> It is not clear to me how to turn this of.

One possibility: Go to Emacs->Preferences, set Alt/Opt-Key to "None" and
set Command Key to "Meta". This has the disadvantage that it interferes
with the MacOS-Shortcuts for the Command key.

Another possibility: rebind the keys in your .emacs, e.g.

(global-set-key (kbd "M-5") (lambda () (interactive) (insert "[")))

Don't know if that always works in all modes, though.

Best possibility: Adapt your keyboard layout for Mac OS X, e.g. using
Ukelele. Your hands will thank you for it later.

-David

@ 2009-02-01 11:20   ` Pieter Laeremans
From: Pieter Laeremans @ 2009-02-01 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 10:39 am, David <de...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Pieter Laeremans <pie...@laeremans.org> writes:
> > I use an azerty keyboard but emacs doesn't handle the following
> > symbols correctly
>
> > { [  and \
>
> > In a normal application for example I can input { by pushing (option
> > alais alt 5),
> > Emacs interprets this as M-5 instead of just inserting the right
> > symbol.
>
> > It is not clear to me how to turn this of.
>
> One possibility: Go to Emacs->Preferences, set Alt/Opt-Key to "None" and
> set Command Key to "Meta". This has the disadvantage that it interferes
> with the MacOS-Shortcuts for the Command key.
>
> Another possibility: rebind the keys in your .emacs, e.g.
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-5") (lambda () (interactive) (insert "[")))
>
> Don't know if that always works in all modes, though.
>
> Best possibility: Adapt your keyboard layout for Mac OS X, e.g. using
> Ukelele. Your hands will thank you for it later.
>
> -David

Great ! The preferences option worked.  Thanks!

Pieter