all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs color White on Black setup question
@ 2012-05-10  4:13 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-05-10  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacs color setup question.

normally i start emacs without changing any color theme stuff. Default
is just fine for me.

but sometimes, i want the background black. The problem is, you can't
simply set background to black, you'll also need to change a bunch of
default text colors.

is there a simple way to set background to black and other colors
automatically set to readable?

Note: i rather not install any of those color theme stuff.
This is emacs running GUI on Windows, not in terminal. So, no X11 or
terminal/ANSI color setup involved. Just pure emacs.

thanks.

 Xah

* Re: emacs color White on Black setup question
@ 2012-05-10  4:23 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2012-05-10  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 9, 9:13 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> emacs color setup question.
>
> normally i start emacs without changing any color theme stuff. Default
> is just fine for me.
>
> but sometimes, i want the background black. The problem is, you can't
> simply set background to black, you'll also need to change a bunch of
> default text colors.
>
> is there a simple way to set background to black and other colors
> automatically set to readable?
>
> Note: i rather not install any of those color theme stuff.
> This is emacs running GUI on Windows, not in terminal. So, no X11 or
> terminal/ANSI color setup involved. Just pure emacs.

found my answer.

--reverse-video does it.

@ 2012-05-14 22:20 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-05-14 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xah Lee', help-gnu-emacs

> sometimes, i want the background black. The problem is, you can't
> simply set background to black, you'll also need to change a bunch of
> default text colors.
>
> is there a simple way to set background to black and other colors
> automatically set to readable?

I'm no expert on this but you might try either of these (they should do the same
thing):

* Customize face `default', setting `Inverse-video' to ON.

* `M-x set-face-inverse-video-p RET default RET t RET'

* Re: emacs color White on Black setup question
@ 2012-05-14 23:40 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2012-05-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> emacs color setup question.
>
> normally i start emacs without changing any color theme stuff. Default
> is just fine for me.
>
> but sometimes, i want the background black. The problem is, you can't
> simply set background to black, you'll also need to change a bunch of
> default text colors.
>
> is there a simple way to set background to black and other colors
> automatically set to readable?
>
> Note: i rather not install any of those color theme stuff.
> This is emacs running GUI on Windows, not in terminal. So, no X11 or
> terminal/ANSI color setup involved. Just pure emacs.

Emacs is supposed to detect the dark background and then pick colors
for text from a brighter pallet.

Customize frame-background-mode to dark
and see if that helps.

Personally, I always use a black background.
I like chartreuse as my default foreground color and I
set a load of colors in my .emacs.

--
Dan Espen