all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101581: Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.
       [not found] <E1Oyymu-0001Fg-5d@internal.in.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2010-09-24 22:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-09-24 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.

FWIW, I think having them in files.el is worse than having them
autoloaded from their corresponding file.  Sometimes it's unavoidable
because precise control over ordering is needed and the autoload
mechanism doesn't provide easy control over it, but otherwise the
modularity of keeping the auto-mode-alist entry next to the
corresponding mode is better.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101581: Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.
@ 2010-09-25  2:57   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-25  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>   Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.
>
> FWIW, I think having them in files.el is worse than having them
> autoloaded from their corresponding file.

I just went by what it says in files.el, guv:

(defvar auto-mode-alist
  ;; Note: The entries for the modes defined in cc-mode.el (c-mode,
  ;; c++-mode, java-mode and more) are added through autoload
  ;; directives in that file.  That way is discouraged since it
  ;; spreads out the definition of the initial value.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101581: Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.
@ 2010-09-25 20:09     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-09-25 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> Move some autoloaded auto-mode-alist entries to files.el.
>> FWIW, I think having them in files.el is worse than having them
>> autoloaded from their corresponding file.
> I just went by what it says in files.el, guv:

> (defvar auto-mode-alist
>   ;; Note: The entries for the modes defined in cc-mode.el (c-mode,
>   ;; c++-mode, java-mode and more) are added through autoload
>   ;; directives in that file.  That way is discouraged since it
>   ;; spreads out the definition of the initial value.

I know my opinion is not shared by everyone, which is why I brought it up.