all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Shipping the illustrated tutorial with Emacs 22? (was: Re: evangelizing Emacs with a graphical tutorial)
@ 2007-02-21  0:56 Jason Spiro
From: Jason Spiro @ 2007-02-21  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

2007/1/30, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>:
>     None.  Perhaps we can get the tutorial released into the public domain
>     so we can ship it with Emacs?
>
> If you tell me the name and email address of its author, I will ask him
> to make it free.  (It is not necessary that it be in the public domain.)

It seems to now be GFDLed.  The guy who wrote the tutorial must be
honored that you wrote to him.  :-)

It's unfortunate that this advanced tutorial won't become accessible
by a menu item until Emacs 23, it seems. :-(  It seems to me a very
valuable yet enjoyable-to-read bit of help for users, especially
because of the illustrations.  (AFAIK, the emacs manual is not
illustrated.)

But could it be added to the etc/ directory of emacs CVS?  And perhaps
the 2nd and third sets of slides too, even though they're really
advanced-user sorts of tutorials.

And could it be mentioned on the Emacs splash screen?

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also provide training and spyware removal services for homes and businesses.

* Re: Shipping the illustrated tutorial with Emacs 22? (was: Re: evangelizing Emacs with a graphical tutorial)
@ 2007-02-22  7:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-02-22  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Spiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

I hesitate to add anything to Emacs 22 now.  We want to make a release
very soon.

* Re: Shipping the illustrated tutorial with Emacs 22?
@ 2007-02-22  7:50   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-02-22  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Jason Spiro, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I hesitate to add anything to Emacs 22 now.  We want to make a release
> very soon.

If it happens within 10 days, I'll have a field day at some GNU/Linux
conference where I am presenting new features of Emacs 22.  It's
become a running gag by now that I announce "its release being even
more imminent than the last few years", but the novelty wears off.

--
David Kastrup