all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copy and paste
@ 2007-01-17 12:45 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2007-01-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm having trouble copying from other (X) applications into emacs:
whenever I use the middle mouse button I always get pasted the last
entry from the emacs kill ring.

I have the following set, as per the wiki:

x-select-enable-clipboard's value is t

interprogram-paste-function's value is
x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value

Thanks for any help,
Roger Mason

* Re: copy and paste
       [not found] <mailman.3198.1169037917.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-18 12:39 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2007-01-18 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 17, 1:45 pm, Roger Mason <rma...@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
> I have the following set, as per the wiki:
>
> x-select-enable-clipboard's value is t
>
> interprogram-paste-function's value is
> x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value

I have the followin section in my .emacs:

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
;(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-select-text t)

I don't remember why I commented out the interprogram-paste-function,
but I can copy and paste between applications with the middle mouse
button.

* Re: copy and paste
@ 2007-01-20 14:50   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2007-01-20 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Martin,

"Martin" <loveslave@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com> writes:

> On Jan 17, 1:45 pm, Roger Mason <rma...@esd.mun.ca> wrote:
>> I have the following set, as per the wiki:
>>
>> x-select-enable-clipboard's value is t
>>
>> interprogram-paste-function's value is
>> x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value
>
> I have the followin section in my .emacs:
>
> (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> ;(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-select-text t)
>
> I don't remember why I commented out the interprogram-paste-function,
> but I can copy and paste between applications with the middle mouse
> button.

Today it is working, seemingly without intervention from me.  If it stops again
I'll try to be more systematic about finding out what works and report
back.

Thanks for your help.

Roger

* copy and paste
@ 2009-01-07  5:35 锁住子
From: 锁住子 @ 2009-01-07  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I found the functions below online somewhere, for easing the process
of copying and pasting between emacs and Mac OSX's clipboard. It
works, but doesn't seem to be encoding aware -- if I kill from a
unicode-encoded buffer and paste into a different osx application (eg
Mail), non-ASCII characters come out garbled. My language environment
is set to UTF-8, is there something I can add in the functions below
that will specify string encoding? I'm trying to achieve all Unicode,
all the time.

Thanks!

Eric

(defun copy-from-osx ()
 (shell-command-to-string "pbpaste"))

(defun paste-to-osx (text &optional push)
 (let ((process-connection-type nil))
   (let ((proc (start-process "pbcopy" "*Messages*" "pbcopy")))
     (process-send-string proc text)
     (process-send-eof proc))))

(setq interprogram-cut-function 'paste-to-osx)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'copy-from-osx)