all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dbus processes not being killed in RHEL6 when emacs24.4 exited
@ 2014-12-18 13:15 Srikar Ananthula
From: Srikar Ananthula @ 2014-12-18 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I compiled successfully emacs 24.3, 24.4 from source.

Its opening perfectly when I use command emacs. As soon I open the emacs
there are two new processes running as below

ananthul 19170     1  0 14:13 pts/3    00:00:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch
9dc31ed
ananthul 19171     1  0 14:13 ?        00:00:00 /bin/dbus-daemon --fork
--print-

Actual scenario : The processes have to be terminated as soon as I close
emacs. I hope its right.

Present scenario : The processes are not being terminated,rather I need to
kill them manually using kill -9 command.

I am using RHEL 6.5. FYI : It works pretty fine on RHEL 5.5

Please help me how to solve this problem.

~ srikar.io

* Re: dbus processes not being killed in RHEL6 when emacs24.4 exited
       [not found] <mailman.16400.1418916148.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-18 15:35 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-12-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:52:30 PM UTC+5:30, Srikar Ananthula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compiled successfully emacs 24.3, 24.4 from source.
>
> Its opening perfectly when I use command emacs. As soon I open the emacs
> there are two new processes running as below
>
> ananthul 19170     1  0 14:13 pts/3    00:00:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch
> 9dc31ed
> ananthul 19171     1  0 14:13 ?        00:00:00 /bin/dbus-daemon --fork
> --print-
>
> Actual scenario : The processes have to be terminated as soon as I close
> emacs. I hope its right.
>
> Present scenario : The processes are not being terminated,rather I need to
> kill them manually using kill -9 command.
>
> I am using RHEL 6.5. FYI : It works pretty fine on RHEL 5.5
>
> Please help me how to solve this problem.

Maybe no connection whatsoever to your problem...
Still thought I'd mention.

There is this new wonder on earth called systemd.
Due to which all sorts of things have stopped working (that have
worked for some 20+ years).
Dbus is intimately part of systemd.

* Re: dbus processes not being killed in RHEL6 when emacs24.4 exited
@ 2014-12-18 19:39 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-12-18 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srikar Ananthula; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Srikar Ananthula wrote:

> ananthul 19170     1  0 14:13 pts/3    00:00:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch
> 9dc31ed
> ananthul 19171     1  0 14:13 ?        00:00:00 /bin/dbus-daemon --fork
> --print-
>
> Actual scenario : The processes have to be terminated as soon as I close
> emacs. I hope its right.
>
> Present scenario : The processes are not being terminated,rather I need to
> kill them manually using kill -9 command.

Why do you care about these processes?
Perhaps because of ssh? See eg

http://serverfault.com/questions/405518/how-to-configure-d-bus-and-ssh-x-forwarding-to-prevent-ssh-from-hanging-on-exit

Note that this is a general dbus issue rather than an Emacs issue.
For example, the same thing happens with firefox on RHEL6.
If you want an Emacs-specific solution, you could compile it --without-dbus.

Rusi wrote:

> There is this new wonder on earth called systemd.

Of course, this is completely irrelevant for many reasons, not least of
which is that RHEL6 use Upstart, not systemd.

* Re: dbus processes not being killed in RHEL6 when emacs24.4 exited
@ 2014-12-18 19:47   ` Srikar Ananthula
From: Srikar Ananthula @ 2014-12-18 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hmm, I even tried to recompile the whole source code with the mentioned
option --without-dbus already , but even I facing the same problem.

The actual environment is we need to use this on grid engine servers, Hence
there are lot of users who opens emacs on them -> There might be lot of new
processes created but not terminated properly, which might eat resources.

Might be yes its good idea to write

~/.bash_logout script to solve this.

--

@ 2014-12-19  8:40     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-12-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srikar Ananthula; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Srikar Ananthula <ananthulasrikar@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, I even tried to recompile the whole source code with the mentioned
> option --without-dbus already , but even I facing the same problem.

When Emacs is linked with gtk, D-Bus is enabled as well. It uses another
D-Bus session than the one Emacs' own D-Bus integration uses.

Likely, your problem is linked to that D-Bus connection.

Best regards, Michael.