all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell in Emacs.app
@ 2010-02-01 13:49 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-02-01 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to do ispell in Emacs.app on my Mac but because of PATH
issues it can't see aspell or the like.  Does anyone know how to
accomplish this?

Thanks.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: ispell in Emacs.app
@ 2010-02-02  1:58   ` Oliver
From: Oliver @ 2010-02-02  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

Hi Tim,

maybe two alternative solutions:

1. Customize "Ispell Program Path" with full path: /opt/local/bin/aspell

2. In the Terminal.app do:
   $ sudo chmod 777 /etc/paths.d
   $ sudo echo "/opt/local/bin" > /etc/paths.d/macport
   $ sudo chown root:wheel /etc/paths.d/macport
   $ sudo chmod 644 /etc/paths.d/macport
   $ sudo chmod 755 /etc/paths.d

   Relogin to let the profile process read the file and add the path to
   the $PATH env.

   To uninstall just:
   $ sudo rm /etc/paths.d/macport

There is a third solution, but this will mess up the macport
installation of emacs.

  Greetings,

  Oliver

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'd like to do ispell in Emacs.app on my Mac but because of PATH
> issues it can't see aspell or the like.  Does anyone know how to
> accomplish this?
>
> Thanks.

* Re: ispell in Emacs.app
@ 2010-02-02  3:03     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-02-02  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Visher, emacs

Thanks Oliver.  I went with the customization of the Ispell Program
Path.  I'll just have to throw that in a platform specific settings
file.

--

@ 2010-02-02  3:06   ` Steve Revilak
From: Steve Revilak @ 2010-02-02  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>

>Hello Everyone,
>
>I'd like to do ispell in Emacs.app on my Mac but because of PATH
>issues it can't see aspell or the like.  Does anyone know how to
>accomplish this?

The first question I'll ask is "is aspell in your shell's path"?  If
it is, great.  If not, then you should adjust your shell's PATH
accordingly.

If aspell is in your shell's path, then try starting Emacs.app like
this:

    open /Applications/Emacs.app

(assuming that you've put Emacs.app in /Applications).

When you start emacs this way, it will inherit your shell's
environment.  Whatever is in your shell's PATH will also be in Emacs'
PATH.

If you prefer to start emacs by double-clicking (rather than using
`open'), then you can try setting PATH using an environment.plist.

    http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 195 bytes --]

* Re: ispell in Emacs.app
@ 2010-02-02 13:58     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-02-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Revilak; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.02.2010 um 04:06 schrieb Steve Revilak:

> When you start emacs this way, it will inherit your shell's
> environment.  Whatever is in your shell's PATH will also be in Emacs'
> PATH.

Another option is to use in the init file:

	(setenv "PATH" (concat "/some/directory" path-separator (getenv
"PATH")))

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.

* Re: ispell in Emacs.app
@ 2010-02-02 22:34     ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-02-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steve Revilak; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Steve Revilak <steve@srevilak.net> wrote:
>> From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'd like to do ispell in Emacs.app on my Mac but because of PATH
>> issues it can't see aspell or the like.  Does anyone know how to
>> accomplish this?
>
> The first question I'll ask is "is aspell in your shell's path"?  If
> it is, great.  If not, then you should adjust your shell's PATH
> accordingly.
>
> If aspell is in your shell's path, then try starting Emacs.app like
> this:
>
>   open /Applications/Emacs.app
>
> (assuming that you've put Emacs.app in /Applications).
>
> When you start emacs this way, it will inherit your shell's
> environment.  Whatever is in your shell's PATH will also be in Emacs'
> PATH.

I can't _believe_ I never thought of that… I've been starting
Emacs.app from the command line like
`/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs` ever since
discovering the port!

This worked like a charm.  Thanks so much!