all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Auto-Scrolling in Percentage Distance?
@ 2009-05-05 14:11 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had extended Emacs's auto scrolling
functionality to be able to set it to a percentage of the buffer
rather than lines from the bottom?  If you've ever used (or seen)
WriteRoom from Hog Bay, this is the functionality I'm looking for.

If you need more details, just let me know.  Thanks!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Auto-Scrolling in Percentage Distance?
@ 2009-05-05 15:10 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-05-05 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tim,

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had extended Emacs's auto scrolling
> functionality to be able to set it to a percentage of the buffer
> rather than lines from the bottom?  If you've ever used (or seen)
> WriteRoom from Hog Bay, this is the functionality I'm looking for.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/AutoScroll

  -- Andy

* Re: Auto-Scrolling in Percentage Distance?
@ 2009-05-05 17:18   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-05-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andy Stewart; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone had extended Emacs's auto scrolling
>> functionality to be able to set it to a percentage of the buffer
>> rather than lines from the bottom?  If you've ever used (or seen)
>> WriteRoom from Hog Bay, this is the functionality I'm looking for.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/AutoScroll

That's actually not what I'm looking for.  That seems to scroll a
buffer for you according to a timed interval (probably for reading a
book or long document of some sort).  What I want is to force the
buffer to scroll when my cursor gets, say, 60% from the bottom.  Right
now, Emacs allows you to specify a minimum distance from the bottom
(usually 0) that the cursor should be before this auto-scroll happens
(and usually it centers the text vertically in the buffer, as though
C-l were pressed).  I'd like it to be dynamic.  So if I specify 50%,
and the buffer is 25 lines long, I'd like the buffer to auto-scroll by
one line whenever my cursor travels below 12 lines from the bottom.

Does that make more sense?