all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* match of escaped parentheses
@ 2004-02-13 10:06 Alexander Heide
From: Alexander Heide @ 2004-02-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to use parentheses matching in a document, that contains
expressions like "\(" and "\[". Emacs seems to recognize these
expressions as escaped parentheses. But that's the behavior I don't
want. Emacs should also match these expressions with ")" and "]", i.e.
ignore the backslash characters.

* Re: match of escaped parentheses
@ 2004-02-13 15:04 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-02-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want to use parentheses matching in a document, that contains expressions
> like "\(" and "\[". Emacs seems to recognize these expressions as escaped
> parentheses. But that's the behavior I don't want. Emacs should also match
> these expressions with ")" and "]", i.e. ignore the backslash characters.

In which major mode?

        Stefan

PS: Set the syntax of the \ char to something else than / or \.

* Re: match of escaped parentheses
       [not found] <E1Arj2W-0004oW-18@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-13 23:01 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.2365.1076713316.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-02-13 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier

Well, the behavior in latex-mode is pretty lame. (For \{ and \} as
well as the aforementioned forms.)  This is unfortunate, because
these "escaped paretheses" symbols are used a lot in latex, and one
would often like to find where e.g. a set begins by using paren
matching.

* Re: match of escaped parentheses
@ 2004-02-16  9:09   ` Alexander Heide
From: Alexander Heide @ 2004-02-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In which major mode?
>

>         Stefan
>

> PS: Set the syntax of the \ char to something else than / or \.

Thank you. The major mode was 'fundamental-mode'. And indeed the
character table shows (C-h s):

\		\ 	which means: escape

I switched to 'text-mode' (M-x text-mode) where parentheses are matched
as I want it.

@ 2004-02-16  9:15   ` Alexander Heide
From: Alexander Heide @ 2004-02-16  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli wrote:
> Well, the behavior in latex-mode is pretty lame. (For \{ and \} as
> well as the aforementioned forms.)  This is unfortunate, because
> these "escaped paretheses" symbols are used a lot in latex, and one
> would often like to find where e.g. a set begins by using paren
> matching.

I tried to edit a Mathematica notebook. It was opened in
'fundamental-mode'. I changed to 'text-mode', where '\' does not mean
'escape'.