all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mode-specific font specifications?
@ 2009-08-24  9:12 Jim McCloskey
From: Jim McCloskey @ 2009-08-24  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Just getting used to Emacs 23.1, and especially enjoying the improved
font-rendering. Thanks to all who made this possible. It's really great.

There's one thing that I haven't figured out yet, though, so I thought
I might ask for help here. I suspect that I am not alone in wanting to
be able to do this.

I'd like to be able to set a default font for text and latex mode (for
prose composition essentially) and to have a nice proportional font
for that context (Linux Libertine or something). But such a font makes
little or no sense for dired-mode, for example, where you really want
a monospace font like Inconsolata (so that the alignment looks right).

I thought I could do what I wanted by setting a default font in the
init file with (set-default-font "FONTNAME") and then:

    (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
      (function
         (lambda ()
	   	  (font-lock-mode 1)
		  (require 'dired-x)
                  (set-frame-font "Inconsolata-11")
		 		  )))

or:

    (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
      (function
         (lambda ()
	   	  (font-lock-mode 1)
		  (require 'dired-x)
                  (set-default-font "Inconsolata-11")
		 		  )))

and that sort of works, in the sense that the first buffer visited is
displayed in the proportional font FONTNAME, and then when you switch
to dired-mode, you get 11pt Inconsolata. However, when you then go
from dired-mode back to the first buffer (in latex-mode, say), the
font used is now Inconsolata. I had hoped to limit the scope of that
second font declaration by putting it inside:

   (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
                    .... )

but, once called, its effects in fact seem to be global rather than
local to that mode.

Is there a way for me to do what I'd like to be able to do?

Thanks very much for any advice or any pointers to relevant documentation.

Jim

* Re: mode-specific font specifications?
       [not found] <mailman.5251.1251123404.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-24 16:14 ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2009-08-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 24, 11:12 am, Jim McCloskey <mccl...@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Just getting used to Emacs 23.1 [...]

> I'd like to be able to set a default font for text and latex mode [...]
> Jim

It's called face remapping.

(info "(elisp) Face Remapping")

-ap

@ 2009-09-01 17:50 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-09-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

am also interested in this, however, so far i have not been
successful.

here's a work-round command.

(defun cycle-font ()
  "Change font in current frame.
When called repeatedly, cycle thru a predefined set of fonts.
Warning: expected to work for Windows only, and you need to install
Code2000 font."
  (interactive)
  (if (not (eq last-command this-command))

;; correct syntax for some fonts
;; "-*-Courier New-normal-r-*-*-14-112-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1"
;; "-outline-Lucida Sans Unicode-normal-normal-normal-sans-13-*-*-*-p-
*-iso8859-1"
;; "-outline-Code2000-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
;; "-raster-Fixedsys-normal-normal-normal-mono-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1"
;; "-outline-FixedsysTTF-semi-bold-normal-normal-mono-16-*-*-*-c-*-
iso8859-1"

      (progn
        (set-frame-parameter nil 'font "Courier New-10")
        (put this-command 'state "2"))
    (cond
     ((string= (get this-command 'state) "1")
      (set-frame-parameter nil 'font "Courier New-10") (put this-
command 'state "2"))
     ((string= (get this-command 'state) "2" )
      (set-frame-parameter nil 'font "Lucida Sans Unicode-10") (put
this-command 'state "1"))
;; ((string= (get this-command 'state) "3")
;;       (set-frame-parameter nil 'font "fixedsys-10") (put
;;      this-command 'state "1"))
      ) ) )

to automatically change font by mode, i tried this:

(defun set-font-by-mode ()
  "Change font in current frame according to the major mode."
  (interactive)
(message (symbol-name major-mode)  )
  (cond
   ((equal major-mode 'dired-mode) (set-frame-parameter nil 'font
"Courier New-10") (message "aaaaaa"))
   (t (set-frame-parameter nil 'font "Lucida Sans Unicode-10")
(message "bbbbb"))
   )
  )

(add-hook 'after-change-major-mode-hook 'set-font-by-mode)

it does work when you go into a dired dir first time. However,
switching buffer doesn't work...

might want to try to get the hook to run when buffer is switched, or
attached it to find-file-hook. Or, also try to find a exit-major-mode
hook...

ps: looking at your post, seems you stuck at the same problem as me.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄

@ 2009-09-01 21:28 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2009-09-01 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a similar problem. But I use muse for my prose and verse, rather
than text mode.

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> writes:

[...]

> I'd like to be able to set a default font for text and latex mode (for
> prose composition essentially) and to have a nice proportional font
> for that context (Linux Libertine or something). But such a font makes
> little or no sense for dired-mode, for example, where you really want
> a monospace font like Inconsolata (so that the alignment looks right).
>
> I thought I could do what I wanted by setting a default font in the
> init file with (set-default-font "FONTNAME") and then:
>
>     (add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
>       (function
>          (lambda ()
> 	   	  (font-lock-mode 1)
> 		  (require 'dired-x)
>                   (set-frame-font "Inconsolata-11")
> 		 		  )))

[...]

This changes the font of the frame's default face, only when you
activate dired-mode. What you probably want, instead of changing the
default face globally or for the frame, is specifying the font only for
the specific buffer.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, Gnu Emacs provides no means to make a
face buffer-local. There is the variable `default-text-properties',
though, which provides something close, but not quite close. Something
like ....

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set (make-local-variable 'default-text-properties)
                 '(face variable-pitch))))

... would probably do the job for text-mode. It has, however, no
effect on text that is already fontified (for instance, because
it is italic.)

I use overlays:

(defface egoge-proportional
  '((((type x))
     (:family "monotype-Garamond" :height 1.4))
    (((type w32))
      (:family "Sylfaen" :height 1.4)))
  "Basic face with variable width font.")

(defvar egoge-font-overlay nil)

(defun egoge-add-font-overlay ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((from (point-min))
        (to (point-max)))
      (when (eq major-mode 'message-mode)
        (save-excursion
          (message-goto-body)
          (setq from (point)
                to   (if (message-goto-signature)
                         (progn (forward-line -1)
                                (point))
                       (point-max)))))
      (let ((overlay (make-overlay from to)))
        (overlay-put overlay 'face 'egoge-proportional)
        (set (make-local-variable 'egoge-font-overlay)
             overlay))))

(add-hook 'muse-mode-hook
          #'egoge-add-font-overlay)

    Oliver
--
15 Fructidor an 217 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: mode-specific font specifications?
@ 2009-09-01 21:38   ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2009-09-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:

> Unfortunately, as far as I know, Gnu Emacs provides no means to make a
> face buffer-local.

I just read A. Politz' post; I stand corrected. Forget what I wrote.

Nice!

    Oliver