all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Adrien Brochard <abrochard@gmx.com>
To: "Jean Louis" <bugs@gnu.support>, "Göktuğ Kayaalp" <self@gkayaalp.com>
Cc: emacs-tangents@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 16:39:07 -0500	[thread overview]

>> If this person chose to use Matlab, it’s totally their decision.
>> Software they used on their own device.  Nobody gets to say anything
>> about that.
>
> When Emacs Survey is promoted here, I will tell that there is Octave
> as free software as that is what people should know. Using proprietary
> software and promoting it to others is detrimental for safety of
> people and in itself unjust. I will always say something about
> that.

Let's just chill about Matlab please. There was no Matlab involved here.
I'm 100% against Matlab.

>> Now, the choice of Google forms is not great, but nobody forced anybody
>> to fill in the survey, and nobody has the right or authority to decide
>> with which software people get to use the name of Emacs with. That sort
>> of language policing is easily fascistic, whatever the yardstick looks
>> like.  Also, looking over your email again, I see no link to any online
>> survey tools that could replace the use of Google Forms here.

Also no Google forms involved. I used Jotform which is not free software
indeed, but much more compliant (HIPAA for example). But also correct
that nobody was forced and email answers were an option specifically for
that purpose.

https://emacssurvey.org/faq.html#js

> German quality LimeSurvey is free software:
> https://demo.limesurvey.org/index.php?r=admin/authentication/sa/login

I did look at them. Their hosted version is prohibitively expensive for
the volume we had. And I am not willing to self-host.

Best,
Adrien Brochard