all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 21.3 and font-lock-faces
@ 2004-02-04 15:18 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2004-02-04 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

I've noticed some slight changes to the face attributes when editing in
c-mode. I'm using emacs 21.3 on windows XP and comparing it to emacs 21.2 on
windows XP

1. The # in #if/#ifdef, etc used to display in a seperate face than the
if/ifdef/define that followed. Now it displays all in the same face. Is
there a way that I can change this back? I don't really care for how it
looks now. I believe that the # would display in the default face.

2. The statement after an #if used to display in
font-lock-variable-name-face. Now it displays in default face I believe.
Example: #if !(defined(NDU_DBG4) || defined(NDU_DBG5))
NDU_DBG4 and NDU_DBG5 used to display in font-lock-variable-name-face but in
21.3 they don't. I can't be certain but from the color I see it seems that
they are using the default face.

I'd like to go back to the old behavior for these cases. Can someone help me
out? Thanks.

--
Javier

* Re: emacs 21.3 and font-lock-faces
@ 2004-02-04 19:17 ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2004-02-04 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In doing some investigation it seems that some of the functionality of 21.2
font-lock.el was moved to cc-fonts.el in 21.3. In font-lock.el 21.2 there is
a regexp case in c-font-lock-keywords-1 that covers number 2 below. When I
do a M-x describe-variable c-font-lock-keywords-1  in 21.3 I get no match.

My knowledge of cc-mode is quite limited so the only way I could think of to
get around this was to add the number 2 regexp case to
font-lock-add-keywords. I tried adding the 21.2 setq of
c-font-lock-keywords-1 in my .emacs for 21.3 but that had no affect. I doubt
that this is the correct solution for this, so I'd be happy to hear any
thoughts on the matter.

I hope that this description makes sense. Forgive me if I fumble on the
proper terminology.

Thanks in advance!

--
Javier

@ 2004-02-09 17:59   ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-09 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

below is some rough material, hope may help

################

One of the 1st thing to configure in emacs are the colors for the various kinds
of text. Finding settings that are good for your eyes is likely to depend also
on the different monitors.

eg  I didn't feel good with the orange comments in the perl and shell
modes on my  LG Flatron F900P  monitor .  Saying

    M-x list-faces-display

helped me to discover that  font-lock-comment-face  was set to  orangered  :
looking 'round  .emacs  I found

    (set-background-color "darkslategray")
      [edots]
    (custom-set-faces
        ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
      [edots]
     '(font-lock-comment-face ((t (:foreground "orangered"))))
      [edots]
    )

Then I looked for a color better than  orangered  ; with

   M-x list-colors-display ; for a display of all the color names and how they look like

I could experience the available hundreds of colors on my darkslategray background ; I
picked  LemonChiffon4  (making comments looking quite dimmed, which is good for people
who mess their programs with lots of out-commended debris code)
and  put it in place of  orangered  in the .emacs lines above
(by naive editing iof accessing via customization buffer, a dirty way I don't suggest
to choose ;-) - wonderful !