all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-01-29 17:24 nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-01-29 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

since I passed to emacs version 21.2.1 on Redhat 8  I noticed that in Man mode
(or at least after M-x man RET bash RET), looking for hyphens with C-s didn't work;
same problem even  when saving that man page on a file.

After some attempt I saw that with

    (toggle-enable-multibyte-characters nil)

an innocent  -c  became visible as \234\364\370\262c  , and so on ;
Mysterious utf8 proposals arose from attempts to save the manpage...

How can I bring this multibyte manpage into ordinary 7 bit ascii form ?
How to have manpages under emacs 7 bit by default ?

   Thank you :-)

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-01-30 22:17 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-30 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 wrote:

> Hi
>
> since I passed to emacs version 21.2.1 on Redhat 8  I noticed that in Man mode
> (or at least after M-x man RET bash RET), looking for hyphens with C-s didn't work;
> same problem even  when saving that man page on a file.
>
> After some attempt I saw that with
>
>     (toggle-enable-multibyte-characters nil)
>
> an innocent  -c  became visible as \234\364\370\262c  , and so on ;
> Mysterious utf8 proposals arose from attempts to save the manpage...
>
> How can I bring this multibyte manpage into ordinary 7 bit ascii form ?
> How to have manpages under emacs 7 bit by default ?

There was a discussion about this on the bug-gnu-emacs or emacs-devel list,
but I can't find it now to give you a reference.  You might try wrapping
LC_ALL=C around the call to the Unix man command, or (setenv "LC_ALL" "C")
around the call to the Emacs man command.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-02-01  9:10   ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-01  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I live already under

  export LC_COLLATE=C

your suggestion is important, it suggests me that
the problem's origin is not emacs-related;
in fact if I say from bash

 $ man bash > read.tmp

then read.tmp is hardly readable because of plenty of embedded ctrl chars such as ^H;

I will  try  man man

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-02-02 19:06     ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-02 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately man man didn't help.
I will post a non-emacs-related query. :-(

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-02-02 23:19     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 wrote:

> I live already under
>
>   export LC_COLLATE=C
>
> your suggestion is important, it suggests me that
> the problem's origin is not emacs-related;

Correct.

> in fact if I say from bash
>
>  $ man bash > read.tmp
>
> then read.tmp is hardly readable because of plenty of embedded ctrl chars such as ^H;

That is a separate problem, which Emacs handles in the Man-fontify-manpage
function (C-h v).  You can even invoke it directly via M-x.

What happens if you run this command:

LC_ALL=C man bash > bash.man

Are there still non-ASCII characters in the bash.man file?

> I will  try  man man

The `man foo` command is basically equivalent to:

nroff -man /usr/man/man?/foo.? | ${PAGER:more}

It works because your terminal interprets the backspace and various escape
sequences that nroff outputs.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-02-07 20:36       ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What happens if you run this command:
>
> LC_ALL=C man bash > bash.man
>
> Are there still non-ASCII characters in the bash.man file?

unfortunately with

  $ LC_ALL=C man bash > bash.man

I get in bash.man the same funny ^H etc chars as before; moreover, I have from many weeks

  $ echo  ${!LC*}
  LC_COLLATE
  $ declare -p LC_COLLATE
  declare -x LC_COLLATE="C"

> The `man foo` command is basically equivalent to:
>

> nroff -man /usr/man/man?/foo.? | ${PAGER:more}
>

> It works because your terminal interprets the backspace and various escape
> sequences that nroff outputs.`

This suggestion seems to be important, I will try using it and will let you know

    nospam55

* Re: mule : multibyte to 7 bit conversions
@ 2004-02-09  6:21         ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-09  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

After struggling around man nroff etc , I saw that passing in /etc/man.conf from
  NROFF         /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc
  NROFF         /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc -Tascii
made emacs doing manpages in apparent ascii encoding, :-)

Unfortunately however , from the shell, with

  $ man bash > bash.tmp

I get pages wich now are in ascii (no funny utf8 stuff) , but still a plenty of ctrl chars
to control a terminal; how could I fix this and get only-printable ascii encoding
from the shell  ?