Andrew Christianson wrote: > - (make-directory newname t))) > + (make-directory newname t)) > + ((and copy-contents (not (file-directory-p newname))) > + (make-directory newname parents))) Thanks for clarifying the test case and for the proposed patch. I reproduced the bug on Fedora 26 and wrote a test case to test case for the bug. Although the abovementioned patch should work on Fedora, it won't work on platforms that do not allow trailing / on mkdir arguments. So I installed the attached patch into the emacs-26 branch, and am boldly marking this bug as fixed. Please give it a try.