Further, I can't seem to get these functions to work /as documented/ or expected. Without these defined when I'm creating a widget with the following code, I do get a button but the internal value is displayed in the clickable button. I'd like the external value to be displayed in the button %v, just as the menu-tag is is "externally facing". <>= (define-widget 'project-widget 'list :tag (let ((s "\n\tProject")) (put-text-property 0 (length s) 'face 'bold s) s) :format "%t\n%v " :offset 0 :indent 0 :convert-widget 'widget-types-convert-widget :args '((menu-choice :tag "EmacSQL-supported backend" :format "%[%t%]: %[%v%]" :value "sqlite" :value-to-external <> :value-to-internal <> (choice-item :menu-tag "MySQL" :value "mysql") (choice-item :menu-tag "PostgreSQL" :value "postgresql") (choice-item :menu-tag "SQLite" :value "sqlite")))) <>= (lambda (widget internal-value) "Converts lowercase, internal values to the casing of trademarks." (pcase internal-value ("mysql" "MySQL") ("sqlite" "SQLite") ("postgresql" "PostgreSQL"))) <>= (lambda (widget external-value) "Converts the casing of trademarked names to lowercase, internal values." (pcase external-value ("MySQL" "mysql") ("SQLite" "sqlite") On 7/14/23 00:32, Bryce Carson wrote: > > In the section /Defining New Widgets/, the following quotation reveals > a bug, I believe. I added emphasis for the last sentence of each > description of the keywords. I believe that for the :value-to-external > function, the last sentence is not supposed to be present. > > :value-to-internal > Function to convert the value to the internal format. The function takes two > arguments, a widget and an external value, and returns the internal value./The function is called on the present :value when the widget is > created, and on any value set later with widget-value-set./ > :value-to-external > Function to convert the value to the external format. The function takes two > arguments, a widget and an internal value, and returns the external value./The function is called on the present :value when the widget is > created, and on any value set later with widget-value-set./ > > It looks like the author or editor of the descriptions coped them, > which is fine. It doesn't make sense that :value-to-external would be > called when the widget is created, nor when new values are set with > widget-value-set. > > Other places in the manual state that the value of the :value keyword, > when creating or defining widget, should be in the external form, more > evidence that the last sentence is a bug. > -- "It's a GNU system, I don't know this!" ||--- Mirror universe Lex Murphy, in Cenozoic Zoo