all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* missing tutorial for emacs 21.3
@ 2005-10-01  1:18 Eric Finnin
       [not found] ` <mailman.9547.1128346600.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Finnin @ 2005-10-01  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Where can I find a copy of the Tutorial for emacs 21.3? I know it should be
found at /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/TUTORIAL, but I can't find it anywhere on
my computer. Emacs appears to work fine otherwise. If it matters, I
installed Emacs when installing Mandrake 10.0 and did not do it manually.
thank you.

* Re: missing tutorial for emacs 21.3
@ 2005-10-03 11:05 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.9547.1128346600.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-10-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.10.2005 um 03:18 schrieb Eric Finnin:

> Where can I find a copy of the Tutorial for emacs 21.3?  I know it
> should be found at /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/TUTORIAL, but I can't
> find it anywhere on my computer.  Emacs appears to work fine
> otherwise.  If it matters, I installed Emacs when installing Mandrake
> 10.0 and did not do it manually.

What happens when you invoke C-h t?

If this does not find the tutorial then Mandrake left them away or put
them into another package. It's probably easy to extract them from an
Emacs source archive (tar zxf <Emacs src>.tar.gz emacs-21.3/etc) and
move the TUTORIAL files to their right place.

--
Greetings
   Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.

@ 2005-10-03 14:46   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2005-10-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.10.2005 um 03:18 schrieb Eric Finnin:

> Where can I find a copy of the Tutorial for emacs 21.3?  I know it
> should be found at /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/TUTORIAL, but I can't
> find it anywhere on my computer.  Emacs appears to work fine
> otherwise.  If it matters, I installed Emacs when installing
> Mandrake 10.0 and did not do it manually.

You need to install emacs-doc - for *some* reason the tutorials
together with NEWS aren't included in the base emacs package - why
you'd want one without the other I don't know!

(urpmi emacs-doc)

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau

* Re: missing tutorial for emacs 21.3
       [not found] <mailman.9291.1128129892.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-03 21:48 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-10-03 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Finnin <emfinnin@gmail.com> wrote on Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:18:25 -0500:
> ------=_Part_2812_31578913.1128129505369

> [first copy of message]

> ------=_Part_2812_31578913.1128129505369

> [second copy of message]

> ------=_Part_2812_31578913.1128129505369--

Eric, you've posted TWO copies of your message almost literally the same,
one after the other.  The second copy was boring.  Together with all the
MIME trash, that has reduced your signal/noise ratio by a factor of ~4.

How about turning off all the MIME garbage options and posting in plain
text like a normal hacker?

Thanks in advance!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)