all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to download and install Emacs
       [not found]                           ` <m3znx01kg8.fsf@latakia.dyndns.org>
@ 2002-07-10  1:46                             ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-07-10  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

ruhl@4dv.net (Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>) writes:
>  but a resident of Bombay is desperately unhappy that
> his town is not marked Mumbai on my maps.

Is that actually true?  The one time I ever heard someone from Bombay
comment on that name change, it was to the effect that he thought it was
silly, and liked the old name better (and that the change was basically
an attempt to win some cheap votes from hindu nationalists, not any kind
of popular mandate).

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: How to download and install Emacs
@ 2002-07-10  1:58                               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-07-10  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

BTW, to follow up, I did a quick web search, and found the following
paper, which is interesting:

   http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3193/papers/india.html

Here's the google cache version:

   http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=cache:YdFhXLBTurAC:www.geocities.com/Vienna/3193/papers/india.html+bombay+mumbai+name+change&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
  			-- Walter Hines Page

* Re: How to download and install Emacs
       [not found]                 ` <m3lm8i3c02.fsf@mika.informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
@ 2002-07-11  9:10                   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-07-11  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lee Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:
> How about Tokyo?  There, everyone  obeys the traffic lights, even when
> there are  clearly no cars  in a radius  of 400 meters.  If  anyone is
> caught (by  a policeman?) crossing the  road against the  red man, the
> punishment is to  cross the in the correct way 100  times at that spot
> at that time!  (Is this true or a rumour?)

I live in Tokyo (well, kinda), and have often crossed against the light
in front of a Policeman; I haven't been hauled in yet. :-)
I've seen many, many, Japanese people do the same thing.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'