all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-02 13:06 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sometimes, I the automatic ChangeLog snarfing fails (usually because
I'm committing a change which is not from today).  Then I do `f' from
the *cvs* buffer to open the ChangeLog files and to copy their
changes to the log edit buffer.

But then, when I hit `C-c C-c', it only offers me to commit some
files, instead of all of them.  It seems it offers me the files that
I used `f' on.

How can I tell PCL-CVS to commit all files?

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-02 19:12 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-02 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sometimes, I the automatic ChangeLog snarfing fails (usually because
> I'm committing a change which is not from today).  Then I do `f' from
> the *cvs* buffer to open the ChangeLog files and to copy their
> changes to the log edit buffer.
> But then, when I hit `C-c C-c', it only offers me to commit some
> files, instead of all of them.  It seems it offers me the files that
> I used `f' on.

The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
but when you hit C-c C-c.
Usually they are the same, but not always.

* CVS and EMACS.
@ 2002-12-02 20:12   ` Gurucharan
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gurucharan @ 2002-12-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello All,
             I wonder if we can integrate the CVS with the EMACS ?
Can someone tell me about how to do this ?

Also, please let me know if we can use the same set of programs in
Windows and UNIX ?

Cheers,
      gurucharan

[-- Attachment #2: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 522 bytes --]

**************************Disclaimer**************************************************

 Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged'
and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information
contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-02 20:15   ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1038858724.30082.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-02 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
> but when you hit C-c C-c.
> Usually they are the same, but not always.

Yes, I discovered that ;-)
So how do I tell C-c C-c to use the right set of files?  (That is,
the same set of files that it would have used without the `f'.)

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-02 21:02     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
>> but when you hit C-c C-c.
>> Usually they are the same, but not always.
> Yes, I discovered that ;-)
> So how do I tell C-c C-c to use the right set of files?  (That is,
> the same set of files that it would have used without the `f'.)

I don't see how hitting `f' can make any difference.
Unless you used something like `T' or `!' (formerly M-f) to temporarily
affect the set of files considered.

* Re: CVS and EMACS.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1038858724.30082.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-03  7:33     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gurucharan <gurucharan.murudeshwar@wipro.com> writes:

>              I wonder if we can integrate the CVS with the EMACS ?
> Can someone tell me about how to do this ?

In Emacs 21, you can type M-x cvs-update RET, then give an existing
working directory.  In the documentation, look for PCL-CVS which
explains this feature.

And then there are the normal VC commands.  For exampe, C-x v v
checks in/out.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-03  8:38       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-03  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> I don't see how hitting `f' can make any difference.

It can!  Try this:

    Edit file A in a CVS working directory.
    Edit file B there.
    emacs -q -no-site-file
    M-x cvs-update RET /path/to/working/dir RET
    The *cvs* buffer shows these files as modified.
    Hit `C' on the `.' line (ie, do it for all files).
    Emacs asks: really commit these files?
    And the list of files displayed shows file A, not B.

Can you reproduce this behavior?  I tried it with a current CVS Emacs
(ie, from yesterday or so).  It's been happening to me for quite a
while, though, so the exact date won't be so important.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1038858724.30082.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-07  2:58   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-07  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
> The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
> but when you hit C-c C-c.
> Usually they are the same, but not always.

I've always hated that ... sometimes I inadvertently move point in the
*cvs* buffer while I'm editing the log-entry (e.g., if start switching
buffers to lookup some info), and end up committing the wrong file!

I guess it could be handy in the case of committing _multiple_ files
though, to be able to change the set of files to commit while editing
the log...  Hmmm, I'm not sure _what_ I want.

What do you think of the following:

  * For a single file, display the to-be-committed filename in
    *log-entry*'s (not sure if that's the right buffer name, but anyway)
    mode-line, otherwise display something like `(marked files)'; update
    this mode-line info dynamically if the user changes the *cvs* buffer
    state

  * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
    file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
    user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
    these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])

Stefan, does this sound hard to implement?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-07 12:38     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-12-07 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07 Dec 2002, Miles Bader wrote:

>  "Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>"
>  <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
> > The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
> > but when you hit C-c C-c.
> > Usually they are the same, but not always.
>
>  I've always hated that ... sometimes I inadvertently move point in the
>  *cvs* buffer while I'm editing the log-entry (e.g., if start switching
>  buffers to lookup some info), and end up committing the wrong file!
>
>  I guess it could be handy in the case of committing _multiple_ files
>  though, to be able to change the set of files to commit while editing
>  the log...  Hmmm, I'm not sure _what_ I want.
>
>  What do you think of the following:
>
>    * For a single file, display the to-be-committed filename in
>      *log-entry*'s (not sure if that's the right buffer name, but anyway)
>      mode-line, otherwise display something like `(marked files)'; update
>      this mode-line info dynamically if the user changes the *cvs* buffer
>      state
>
>    * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
>      file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
>      user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
>      these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])

Even if it is not important what i think, i would really like this behavior
described by Miles.

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-07 14:22     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-07 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

>   * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
>     file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
>     user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
>     these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])

This behavior is already implemented.  I like it a lot, because it
prevents me from doing stupid things.

But what I really want is to void having `f' in the *cvs* buffer frob
the list of files that will be committed!

You are referring to point position.  Does this mean it will help to
move point to the top-level directory line before hitting C-c C-c in
the log-edit buffer?  That would be a workaround I could use for the
moment.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-07 14:51       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> >   * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
> >     file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
> >     user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
> >     these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])
>
> This behavior is already implemented.  I like it a lot, because it
> prevents me from doing stupid things.

I'm confused -- it certainly doesn't show _me_ the name of the file
being commited, nor did it query me the last time I accidentally moved
the point in the *cvs* buffer (which I guess was a month or two ago);
has the latter feature recently been added?

> But what I really want is to void having `f' in the *cvs* buffer frob
> the list of files that will be committed!

Well, what I'm suggesting is that it at least warn you that this has
happened (and since it _won't_ query you if nothing has changed, it
will be hard to get into the habit of hitting `y' without thinking).

If it does this, then you could just say `n' or hit ^G, and then go and
fix the marks in the *cvs* buffer, and then hit C-c C-c again.

> You are referring to point position.  Does this mean it will help to
> move point to the top-level directory line before hitting C-c C-c in
> the log-edit buffer?

I have no idea what you're referring to here...

-Miles
--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-07 15:37         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>> >   * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
>> >     file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
>> >     user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
>> >     these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])
>>
>> This behavior is already implemented.  I like it a lot, because it
>> prevents me from doing stupid things.
>
> I'm confused -- it certainly doesn't show _me_ the name of the file
> being commited, nor did it query me the last time I accidentally moved
> the point in the *cvs* buffer (which I guess was a month or two ago);
> has the latter feature recently been added?

I hit C-c C-c and it asks me `Really commit these 2 files?' and shows
a temp buffer with the two file names.

I've been observing this for some weeks already.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-09 16:49     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've always hated that ... sometimes I inadvertently move point in the
> *cvs* buffer while I'm editing the log-entry (e.g., if start switching
> buffers to lookup some info), and end up committing the wrong file!

It is enormously simpler because you don't have to deal with odd cases
like committing two days later when the *cvs* buffer is completely
different and might not even include the files you originally intended
to commit.
Basically it makes the thing "stateless", so you can kill the *cvs-commit*
buffer or go back to it via other ways than `c' or `C' (even after you
committed), ...

> I guess it could be handy in the case of committing _multiple_ files
> though, to be able to change the set of files to commit while editing
> the log...

Maybe it could be handy, but it's not the main motivation for the
current behavior.

>   * For a single file, display the to-be-committed filename in
>     *log-entry*'s (not sure if that's the right buffer name, but anyway)
>     mode-line, otherwise display something like `(marked files)'; update
>     this mode-line info dynamically if the user changes the *cvs* buffer
>     state

C-c C-f displays the "files to be committed".

>   * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
>     file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
>     user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
>     these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])

AFAIK this is the default behavior (including the temp-buffer).
What is the value of `log-edit-confirm' ?

> Stefan, does this sound hard to implement?

;-)

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-09 16:50         ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-09 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm confused -- it certainly doesn't show _me_ the name of the file
> being commited, nor did it query me the last time I accidentally moved
> the point in the *cvs* buffer (which I guess was a month or two ago);
> has the latter feature recently been added?

That feature was in Emacs-21.1 already.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-09 16:51       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-12-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But what I really want is to void having `f' in the *cvs* buffer frob
> the list of files that will be committed!

I believe this to be a bug, but I haven't look into it yet.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-10  1:47       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-10  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
> >   * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
> >     file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
> >     user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
> >     these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])
>
> AFAIK this is the default behavior (including the temp-buffer).
> What is the value of `log-edit-confirm' ?

Gah, now I'm really confused; log-edit-confirm's value is `changed', which
looks like it should give me exactly the behavior I want, but I most
certainly have run afoul of the `accidentally moved cursor in *cvs*'
problem I mentioned earlier.  I don't know whether there's a bug, or
whether it _did_ prompt me and I forgot that part...

It's a bit of pain to test, unfortunately (I'd have to create a cvs
repository).

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.

* Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
@ 2002-12-10  8:50         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-10  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> But what I really want is to void having `f' in the *cvs* buffer frob
>> the list of files that will be committed!
>
> I believe this to be a bug, but I haven't look into it yet.

Yes.  I was just trying to explain to Miles.