all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* uniquify & advice
@ 2003-06-06  4:16 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-06-06  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

uniquify.el still uses `defadvice' for some of its functionality;
shouldn't we just add appropriate code (or hooks) to the underlying
functions instead?

Here's what it uses:

   (defadvice rename-buffer (after rename-buffer-uniquify activate)
     "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."

   (defadvice create-file-buffer (after create-file-buffer-uniquify activate)
     "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research

* Re: uniquify & advice
@ 2003-06-06 15:31 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> uniquify.el still uses `defadvice' for some of its functionality;
> shouldn't we just add appropriate code (or hooks) to the underlying
> functions instead?
>
> Here's what it uses:
>
>    (defadvice rename-buffer (after rename-buffer-uniquify activate)
>      "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."
>
>    (defadvice create-file-buffer (after create-file-buffer-uniquify activate)
>      "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."

Yes.  I remember looking at it in the past and ended up not doing it
because I couldn't come up with a good hook.

* Re: uniquify & advice
@ 2003-06-07 10:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-06-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    uniquify.el still uses `defadvice' for some of its functionality;
    shouldn't we just add appropriate code (or hooks) to the underlying
    functions instead?

Yes, that would be a good thing to do.

* Re: uniquify & advice
@ 2003-06-08  1:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-06-08  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    >    (defadvice rename-buffer (after rename-buffer-uniquify activate)
    >      "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."
    >
    >    (defadvice create-file-buffer (after create-file-buffer-uniquify activate)
    >      "Uniquify buffer names with parts of directory name."

    Yes.  I remember looking at it in the past and ended up not doing it
    because I couldn't come up with a good hook.

For create-file-buffer, I think it would be fine to put the code
directly into the definition, no hook at all.  For rename-buffer.
calling a specific Lisp function is fine.  There's no reason for
this code to try to be "general"; in fact, it is easier to understand
if it is specific.