all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Could bgex patch or similar be added?
@ 2009-06-25  4:21 Ivan Andrus
From: Ivan Andrus @ 2009-06-25  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I use emacs from CVS for the sole reason of applying the background
pixmap patch found at
http://umiushi.org/~wac/bgex/
I was wondering if there are any plans for something like this to be
integrated into emacs.  Miles Bader's transparent emacs branch may
have done this, but I could never find it, so I assume it died.  For
me there are two key features.

First is that that different backgrounds can be assigned to different
modes and/or buffer names.  This is very useful to me since I can
instantly see that I am editing my .emacs file and not some other
elisp file, and certainly not a C++ file.  Perhaps this can be done
today in vanilla emacs, but I haven't tried too hard.  I would be
interested in snippets if anyone has some hanging around.

Second is that using a (very muted) picture as a background seems
easier on my eyes than either solid colors or true transparency
(though transparency is definitely cool and I use it in Carbon Emacs
since the patch doesn't work on NS/Carbon).

Unfortunately, I don't speak any Japanese, so I can't help there but,
time permitting, I might be able to get it to work on NS (though I
don't really know anything about the emacs internals so it would take
me quite a bit of time).

-Ivan