all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Annoying ^M in text files
@ 2002-09-05 22:56 Boyan
From: Boyan @ 2002-09-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

could someone help me get rid off the end of line signs ^M that I see
when I open many text files? Is there an automatic configuration
line/command that could help me for a particular editing mode? I use
gnu-emacs 21.1.1 on linux. The same files seem to open right in xemacs
21.4 that I also have.

Regards,
Boyan.

* Re: Annoying ^M in text files
       [not found] <mailman.1031297345.15469.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-06  7:56 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-09-06  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitri.Minaev@Samara.BritishCouncil.RU writes:
> Those files use ms-dog-style CR-LF line breaks. ... or open those
> files with a *-dos coding system (if your emacs is compiled with MULE
> support).

GNU Emacs is always compiled with Mule support, and it's supposed to
auto-detect MSDOS-style line-endings.

Either the files are screwed up in some way (a common reason is
_mixed_ MSDOS- and unix-style line-endings), or he found a bug.

The best thing to do is to post a file that exhibits this problem (being
careful to preserve the line-endings in the post, e.g use a mime-attachment.

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research

* RE: Annoying ^M in text files
@ 2002-09-06  8:31 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-09-06  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Those files use ms-dog-style CR-LF line breaks. You can either use
'dos2unix' program to convert the line breaks to unix-style, or open those
files with a *-dos coding system (if your emacs is compiled with MULE
support).

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

* Re: Annoying ^M in text files
@ 2002-09-06 14:06 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2002-09-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ^M is part of a DOS style end-of-line.  Probably, the file was
originally created on a DOS system.

Typically, emacs detects a DOS end-of-line and doesn't show the ^M.
Perhaps there is something in your .emacs which is turning off this
feature.

If you want to actually remove the ^M (not just hide them), I
recommend eol-conversion.el.

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646