all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `select-frame' or `select-frame-set-input-focus'?
@ 2004-01-09  3:18 leo
From: leo @ 2004-01-09  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

i 've written a couple of lttle function making a new frame and doing some
stuff there eg.

(defun info-new-frame ()
  (select-frame (make-frame-command))
  (info))

now i stumbled across the function `select-frame-set-input-focus' which
doesn't do anything different to `select-frame' on my system win2000 system.
i guess its something X11-related.

so what's the generally more recommended function for a new frame:
`select-frame' or `select-frame-set-input-focus'?

thanks, leo

* Re: `select-frame' or `select-frame-set-input-focus'?
@ 2004-01-09  8:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:18:45 +1100
>
> now i stumbled across the function `select-frame-set-input-focus' which
> doesn't do anything different to `select-frame' on my system win2000 system.

This is only true for the default configuration of the MS-Windows
window management policy, whereby you need to click on a window to
switch the input focus to it.  But if you change that (as I like to
do on my systems) so that merely moving the mouse pointer to another
window sets input focus to that other window, the two functions will
give different results.

Also, `select-frame-set-input-focus' raises the frame, which is
important if the frame was minimized.

> so what's the generally more recommended function for a new frame:
> `select-frame' or `select-frame-set-input-focus'?

It looks to me that the latter is marginally better (more portable and
its effect is more reliably predictable in all possible situations).