all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New to Emacs
@ 2002-12-17 15:59 Code Fox
From: Code Fox @ 2002-12-17 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it before. I'm
just getting used to navigating and using the control and meta key
commands. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the features available in
emacs. I find it a bit difficult to follow the gnu emacs manual for a
first read. Could someone provide me with links to get started with
emacs? Also I have a few doubts:

1. I use many scripting languages like PHP, ASP, and Python. If I want
to write my own syntax hilighting for a particular language how do I do it?
2. I have an IMAP mail account. I configured gnus to retrieve mails from
my IMAP account but I couldn't see all folders. Is there an email client
for emacs which would let me use my IMAP account with ease, like moving
messages between 2 folders?
3. I use various C++ compilers. How do I configure emacs to compile my
program using a particular compiler?
4. How do I create a custom spell-check dictionary?

Thanks.

* Re: New to Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.316.1040140647.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-17 17:50 ` Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Code Fox <codefox@ftml.net> writes:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it
> before. I'm just getting used to navigating and using the control and
> meta key commands. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the features
> available in emacs. I find it a bit difficult to follow the gnu emacs
> manual for a first read. Could someone provide me with links to get
> started with emacs?

I think people generally suggest to start with the tutorial.  After
that, you're expected to read those parts of the manual that appear
interesting to you.  But one problem is to figure out what is
interesting, as Emacs uses unusual terms.  I suggest to read the
glossary first.  That tells you about the Emacs terminology.

> Also I have a few doubts:
>
> 1. I use many scripting languages like PHP, ASP, and Python. If I want
>    to write my own syntax hilighting for a particular language how do
>    I do it?

There are already modes for Python and for PHP.  Not sure about ASP.
So maybe you don't need to do that much yourself.

Usually, you should write a `major mode' for things like syntax
highlighting.  Emacs comes with files generic.el and generic-x.el.
The former provides for a way to fairly simply construct a major
mode.  The latter contains some examples to learn from.

And then there is define-derived-mode which you can use if there is
already a major mode that's similar.  (Some people suggest to always
use define-derived-mode -- if necessary, derive from
fundamental-mode...)

> 2. I have an IMAP mail account. I configured gnus to retrieve mails
>    from my IMAP account but I couldn't see all folders. Is there an
>    email client for emacs which would let me use my IMAP account with
>    ease, like moving messages between 2 folders?

I find that Gnus does let me use my IMAP account `with ease'.  But
there are two ways to use IMAP with Gnus.  One is to create an entry
in mail-sources, the other is to use nnimap.  The second is what makes
Gnus a full-fledged IMAP client.  Please provide more details about
things you tried.

> 3. I use various C++ compilers. How do I configure emacs to compile my
>    program using a particular compiler?

The variable is compile-command.  I suggest to always write a
Makefile, then the default value will be fine.  It is quite easy to
write Makefiles.  (In simple cases, the Makefiles are simple.  In more
complicated cases, the Makefiles are more complicated.  But such is
life...)

For example, if your C++ compiler is called dumbledore, then the
following one-liner might be enough:

CXX=dumbledore

> 4. How do I create a custom spell-check dictionary?

The standard ispell commands provide for ways to add words to the
private dictionary.  Did you read the documentation on ispell?

@ 2002-12-17 18:45 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2002-12-17 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Code Fox <codefox@ftml.net> writes:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it
> before. I'm just getting used to navigating and using the control and
> meta key commands. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the features
> available in emacs. I find it a bit difficult to follow the gnu emacs
> manual for a first read. Could someone provide me with links to get
> started with emacs? Also I have a few doubts:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/GNU-Emacs-FAQ/

HTH.

@ 2002-12-18 18:07 ` Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
From: Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net> @ 2002-12-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Code Fox <codefox@ftml.net> writes:

> 1.  I use many scripting languages like PHP, ASP, and Python.  If I
> want to write my own syntax hilighting for a particular language how
> do I do it?

At least for Python, the major mode already exists.  I'd be very
surprised if they don't exist for the others.  Ah, a quick googling
reveals a few PHP modes, and it appears that cperl-mode can be used for
ASP with some amount of joy.

> 2. I have an IMAP mail account.  I configured gnus to retrieve mails
> from my IMAP account but I couldn't see all folders.  Is there an
> email client for emacs which would let me use my IMAP account with
> ease, like moving messages between 2 folders?

Although I'm sure that it's possible (look at the docs for
nnimap-list-pattern...), I would use gnus to manage `folders' and such,
and not leave anything on the IMAP server.  Trust me--it works
beautifully, once one has gotten used to it.  Of course, if you wish to
read mail on more than one machien, it's not so pleasant, but I read
everything from one box (I just ssh in when I'm remote).

> 3.  I use various C++ compilers.  How do I configure emacs to compile
> my program using a particular compiler?

Well, M-x compile defaults to using make (see docs for
compile-command)--so really, the question is how to customise make.

> 4.  How do I create a custom spell-check dictionary?

Depends on the spell-check prog you've told emacs to use.  I use aspell,
and am pretty happy with it.

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>
The world is `changed'?  Yes, but not that much, and too many of the

* Re: New to Emacs
@ 2002-12-19 11:11   ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-12-19 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> there are two ways to use IMAP with Gnus.  One is to create an entry
> in mail-sources, the other is to use nnimap.  The second is what makes
> Gnus a full-fledged IMAP client.

I think only the second one works 'with ease', I could never get the
first method to work properly with imap.  It barfed whenever I tried to
connect.

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: New to Emacs
@ 2002-12-20 16:09   ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2002-12-20 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ruhl@4dv> Although I'm sure that it's possible (look at the docs
    ruhl@4dv> for nnimap-list-pattern...), I would use gnus to manage
    ruhl@4dv> `folders' and such, and not leave anything on the IMAP
    ruhl@4dv> server.

On the contrary, I prefer leaving the mail folders on the IMAP server.
That's  easy to  manage when  your  want to  (even just  occasionally)
access your  mail boxes  using a WWW  gateway.  It's also  easier when
your  home directory is  not always  at your  hands in  your computing
environment (e.g.  when the  home directory is  only mountable  from a
certain department or lab.)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de

* Re: New to Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.316.1040140647.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-20 16:19 ` Lee Sau Dan
From: Lee Sau Dan @ 2002-12-20 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Code> I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it
    Code> before. I'm just getting used to navigating and using the
    Code> control and meta key commands. Right now I'm kind of
    Code> overwhelmed by the features available in emacs.

Don't be greedy.  Learn them one by one, gradually.

    Code> 1. I use many scripting languages like PHP, ASP, and
    Code> Python. If I want to write my own syntax hilighting for a
    Code> particular language how do I do it?

Are you sure  you really want to do that?  I  mean... writing your own
major mode?

In most cases,  you don't.  You just need to  *customize* it.  E.g. to
change the  colours and fonts used  for hilighting, you  don't need to
write your own eLISP code.  Simply customize the existing package.

Try  M-x  customize,   and  don't  be  surprised  by   the  amount  of
customizable  items offered!  Alternatively,  if you're  familiar with
LISP, you  could read the  .el file for  the respective modes  and put
some configurations in your ~/.emacs.

    Code> 2. I have an IMAP mail account. I configured gnus to
    Code> retrieve mails from my IMAP account but I couldn't see all
    Code> folders. Is there an email client for emacs which would let
    Code> me use my IMAP account with ease, like moving messages
    Code> between 2 folders?

I've been  using nnimap to access my  mails via IMAP for  over a year.
No problems.  The  site admins even changed it to  IMAPS, and again, I
found how to make Gnus to handle it.

Could you be more specific about your problem?

    Code>   3. I use various C++ compilers. How do I
    Code> configure emacs to compile my program using a particular
    Code> compiler?

The  standard solution  is not  to do  that.  M-x  compile  by default
invokes "make".  We normally use a Makefile to drive "make" to do what
we want.   So, we can control  which compiler to use  in the Makefile.
It's worthwhile to learn to use "make" and write Makefiles anyway.

Anyway,  you can customize  what M-x  compile does.   Can you  find it
under M-x customize?

    Code>   4. How do I create a custom spell-check dictionary?

Don't worry about it.  Just  go ahead with M-x ispell-buffer.  When it
prompts you to correct a word,  and you think it is not misspelt, type
"i" to Insert  it into your personal dictionary.   When you finish the
spell check session, Emacs will  prompt you in the mini-buffer whether
you want to save the personal dictionary.

--

@ 2004-01-03  3:14 Stephen
From: Stephen @ 2004-01-03  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I just downloaded Emacs 21.3 precompiled windows version. I want to use
it for Java development. An article I am reading shows how to do this, and I
have downloaded several .el files. What directory do I put these files in?
Also, the article says to modify my .emacs file. I have not been able to
find a .emacs file in my Emacs directory. Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.

* Re: New to Emacs
@ 2004-01-03  3:22 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2004-01-03  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen wrote:
> I just downloaded Emacs 21.3 windows for Java development.
> What directory do I put the .el files in?

In Emacs, when you hit
	C-h v
	load-path
where 'C' is your Control key, this shows the paths where Emacs will
find *.el. A good choice would be similar to
C:\Program Files\Emacs21.3\site-lisp\

> I have not been able to find a .emacs file in my Emacs directory.

Unless you are running w9x (use autoexec.bat instead) you should set
your %HOME% environment variable using the system->advanced control panel.
You then create a new .emacs or _emacs file there.

You might wish to take a look at http://emacro.sf.net/ my project for
new Emacs users. It has nice links to JDEE and EmacsWiki.org which
provide many answers.

* New to Emacs
@ 2004-01-04  3:34 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2004-01-04  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

S> Hi, I just downloaded Emacs 21.3 precompiled windows version. I
S> want to use it for Java development. An article I am reading shows
S> how to do this, and I have downloaded several .el files. What
S> directory do I put these files in?

Any directory that appears in your load-path variable, see below.

S>  Also, the article says to
S> modify my .emacs file. I have not been able to find a .emacs file
S> in my Emacs directory.

Windows version comes  with a BAT file and a CMD  maybe (I use Windows
only at work and now I'm on  holyday). Look at these files, they set a
HOME variable (that cames from Unix $HOME variable containing the home
directory of the user in the file system).

NT and its  successors let you set a HOME variable  in the My Computer
properties tabbed  dialog (usually is  a button called  Environment or
such).

Emacs  directory  (Windows  precompiled)  contains a  file  with  some
registry entries  that set the other  variables you see in  the CMD or
BAT files.

The .emacs  file (Windows version  of Emacs accepts _emacs  also since
Windows could have  problems with "dot files" -  they are the "hidden"
files in Unix) should reside in that directory.

If my memory isn't wrong if HOME is unset then Emacs uses C:\

Back to the .el files.

If you put them in C:\example then you should put in your .emacs
something like:

(setq load-path (nconc load-path (list "C:/example")))

This LISP  statement sets the load-path variable  (setq function) with
the result of the function nconc that concatenates any number of lists
(load-path is a list) by altering them.  Only the last argument is not
altered, and need not be a list.

Therefore if at startup load-path content is

("c:/emacs/lisp" "c:/emacs/site-lisp")

after that statement it becomes

("c:/emacs/lisp" "c:/emacs/site-lisp" . "c:/example")

The  load-path  variable  acts  like  Unix  $PATH  and  Windows  %PATH
variable.

BTW, be sure that all exe files are in directories listed in your
system PATH :).

 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________
  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/

* Re: New to Emacs
@ 2004-01-07 17:39 ` Greg Fenton
From: Greg Fenton @ 2004-01-07 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen wrote:

> Hi, I just downloaded Emacs 21.3 precompiled windows version. I want
> to use it for Java development. An article I am reading shows how to
> do this, and I have downloaded several .el files.

Have you taken a look at the JDEE:

   http://jdee.sunsite.dk/

Hope this helps,
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions

* New to emacs
@ 2008-10-16 20:12 Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro
From: Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro @ 2008-10-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello
I are new to emacs, but i can compile it !.
I run ./compile an later make, this generates a emacs file in the src
directory, but when i try to run it, it says:

    emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

And does not function
if Anyone can help with this problem or give a binary for Linux amd64
please ?

* Re: New to emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1282.1224217100.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-17  5:32 ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2008-10-17  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro <mariocastelancastro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello
> I are new to emacs, but i can compile it !.
> I run ./compile an later make, this generates a emacs file in the src
> directory, but when i try to run it, it says:
>
>    emacs: Cannot open termcap database file
>
> And does not function
> if Anyone can help with this problem or give a binary for Linux amd64
> please ?

Normally your linux distribution would provide emacs binaries, which are
quite standard packages. Depends on what linux distribution you are
using, try yum(fedora)/apt-get(ubuntu/debian) ..etc

@ 2008-10-17  5:38 ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2008-10-17  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There is a pre-compiled amd64-binary available at:
http://www.slamd64.com

Cor
--
	Mijn Tools zijn zo modern dat ze allemaal eindigen op 'saurus'
        (defvar My-Computer '((OS . "GNU/Emacs") (IPL . "GNU/Linux")))

* Re: New to emacs
@ 2008-10-17  8:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-17  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.10.2008 um 22:12 schrieb Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro:

>    emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

To run GNU Emacs inside a terminal emulation you need the ncurses
library.

--
Greetings
                                  <]

* Re: New to emacs
@ 2008-10-17  8:37 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2008-10-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

El Jueves 16 Octubre 2008ES 22:12:18 Mario Xerxes Castelán Castro escribió:
> Hello
> I are new to emacs, but i can compile it !.
> I run ./compile an later make, this generates a emacs file in the src
> directory, but when i try to run it, it says:
>
>     emacs: Cannot open termcap database file
>
> And does not function
> if Anyone can help with this problem or give a binary for Linux amd64
> please ?

You didn't run "make install" in order to install the program properly on your
system.