all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: FCC <ferhun.caner@upc.es>
Subject: gnuplot mode problem
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:56:15 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello all,

I have installed the gnuplot mode using apt-get install gnuplot-mode on my
Debian 2.4.23-xfs-acpi kernel to use with Emacs-21.

Then I tried to use it but I could not. The first problem was that when I
visit any *.gp file I get the following eror in Emacs-21:
----
gnuplot-mode 0.6.0 -- determining gnuplot version ......
File mode specification error: (file-error "Searching for program" "success"
"")
Fontifying Doming.gp... (regexps............)
File mode specification error: (file-error "Searching for program" "success"
"")
----
I get the same ``File mode specification error'' when I use C-c C-b, which
tries to send the current buffer to gnuplot.

First, I googled the web for the first problem, but I could not get any
useful hits.

The second problem was that the the completions for keywords did not work. I
found out that this was related to the info file not being installed. To
solve this problem, I tried to read the website of gnuplot mode (http:/
feff.phys.washington.edu/~ravel/software/gnuplot-mode/) carefully. Finally
I managed to put the gnuplot.info file in to /usr/info/emacs-21/ as
gnuplot.gz and then edited the file /usr/info/dir to include the menu entry
for gnuplot. Finally I got the info working properly (I tried to official
way of using install-info, but I got the error:
----
No `START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY' and no `This file documents'.
install-info(/usr/info/emacs-21/gnuplot.gz): unable to determine description
for `dir' entry - giving up
----
so I had to do it manually). Now the keyword completions do work, but I
still cannot get gnuplot load my *.gp files.

>From the console gnuplot works just fine.

So, can you please help me with this ``first'' problem of mine?

Thanks a lot for your time.

FCC
--
Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.