all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and auctex, spell checking
@ 2003-12-22  2:50 Jens Prüfer
From: Jens Prüfer @ 2003-12-22  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello yet again,

Eamcs 21.3.1 + auctex 11.13-2 are using ispell to check for correct
spelling. However, I am writing german using plain "Umlaut" characters.
Whenever I call "spell", ispell stops at all accented chars taking it for
the end of word delimiter. So the word "Hyäne" gets checked as "Hy" and
"ne", which both make no sense. I know how to call ispell from the bash
using

ispell -tC -w "äöüßÄÖÜ"

but how do I teach Emacs about that? Are there better ways for 8 bit char
awareness of ispell?

Cheers

Jens

--
Please do not send any mail to the address given above, it will be ignored.
Use jens DOT pruefer AT gmx DOT <TLD for Germany> instead.

* Re: Emacs and auctex, spell checking
@ 2003-12-22  5:11 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-12-22  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Prüfer <nospam@jens-pruefer.de> writes:

> Eamcs 21.3.1 + auctex 11.13-2 are using ispell to check for correct
> spelling. However, I am writing german using plain "Umlaut" characters.
> Whenever I call "spell", ispell stops at all accented chars taking it for
> the end of word delimiter. So the word "Hyäne" gets checked as "Hy" and
> "ne", which both make no sense. I know how to call ispell from the bash
> using
>
> ispell -tC -w "äöüßÄÖÜ"
>
> but how do I teach Emacs about that? Are there better ways for 8 bit char
> awareness of ispell?

Just switch to an 8bit dictionary like deutsch8 or so.