all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Key binding
@ 2002-11-24 21:22 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-11-24 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
I try to bind the shell-command function to the C-c v key (in pascal-mode)
The command should execute a file after compilation.

(define-key pascal-mode-map "\C-c\v" '(shell-command
(file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))))

But this somehow don't work...
Thx,
Florian

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25  9:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-25  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

> (define-key pascal-mode-map "\C-c\v" '(shell-command
> (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))))

(defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
  "doc string here"
  (interactive)
  (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))))
(define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v") 'fl-execute-current-buffer)

kai

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 17:18   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-11-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:
>
>> (define-key pascal-mode-map "\C-c\v" '(shell-command
>> (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))))
>
> (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
>   "doc string here"
>   (interactive)
>   (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name))))
> (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v") 'fl-execute-current-buffer)

Thanks,
it's not really working.
That's how it looks like now:

(add-hook 'pascal-mode-hook
          (lambda()
             [..]
            (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
              "Executes the compiled file"
              (interactive)
              (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name)))
            (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v") 'fl-execute-current-buffer)))

I've I execute this it just displays in the minibuffer:

Filename: Runtime error 201 at 0x0805C0DA
(some more hex codes)

Filename is the output my program gives right before it is waiting for
input.
If I just execute the program in a bash shell it works ok, I can enter
something.
A weird problem also apperas if I try to execute the program in the shell
mode (M-x shell), it scrolling thousands of lines with withspaces down.
Everything works on a normal shell.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 17:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

> That's how it looks like now:
>
> (add-hook 'pascal-mode-hook
>           (lambda()
>              [..]
>             (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
>               "Executes the compiled file"
>               (interactive)
>               (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name)))
>             (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v") 'fl-execute-current-buffer)))

I meant:

(require 'pascal)  ; or is it pascal-mode?
(defun ...)
(define-key ...)

Without a mode hook.

> I've I execute this it just displays in the minibuffer:
>
> Filename: Runtime error 201 at 0x0805C0DA
> (some more hex codes)
>
> Filename is the output my program gives right before it is waiting for
> input.
> If I just execute the program in a bash shell it works ok, I can enter
> something.
> A weird problem also apperas if I try to execute the program in the shell
> mode (M-x shell), it scrolling thousands of lines with withspaces down.
> Everything works on a normal shell.

Maybe that's because with M-x shell-command RET (also known as M-!)
you can't interact with the program.

Try M-x comint-run RET.

kai

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 17:51     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-11-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner wrote:

> it's not really working.
> That's how it looks like now:
>
> (add-hook 'pascal-mode-hook
>           (lambda()
>              [..]
>             (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
>               "Executes the compiled file"
>               (interactive)
>               (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name)))
>             (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v") 'fl-execute-current-buffer)))
>

> I've I execute this it just displays in the minibuffer:
>
> Filename: Runtime error 201 at 0x0805C0DA
> (some more hex codes)
>
> Filename is the output my program gives right before it is waiting for
> input.
> If I just execute the program in a bash shell it works ok, I can enter
> something.

I believe `shell-command' executes the COMMAND with standard input bound to
/dev/null.  Try `comint-run' instead.

> A weird problem also apperas if I try to execute the program in the shell
> mode (M-x shell), it scrolling thousands of lines with withspaces down.
> Everything works on a normal shell.
> Any ideas?

Perhaps your program assumes that it is connected to a terminal.  You could
try using `term' (instead of `comint-run' or `shell-command').

--

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 21:48       ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-11-25 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:
>
>> That's how it looks like now:
>>
>> (add-hook 'pascal-mode-hook
>>           (lambda()
>>              [..]
>>             (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
>>               "Executes the compiled file"
>>               (interactive)
>>               (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension
>>               buffer-file-name)))
>>             (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v")
>>             'fl-execute-current-buffer)))
>
> I meant:
>
> (require 'pascal)  ; or is it pascal-mode?
> (defun ...)
> (define-key ...)

I'm using pascal-mode

> Without a mode hook.
>
>> I've I execute this it just displays in the minibuffer:
>>
>> Filename: Runtime error 201 at 0x0805C0DA
>> (some more hex codes)
>>
>> Filename is the output my program gives right before it is waiting for
>> input.
>> If I just execute the program in a bash shell it works ok, I can enter
>> something.
>> A weird problem also apperas if I try to execute the program in the shell
>> mode (M-x shell), it scrolling thousands of lines with withspaces down.
>> Everything works on a normal shell.
>
> Maybe that's because with M-x shell-command RET (also known as M-!)
> you can't interact with the program.
>
> Try M-x comint-run RET.

comint-run has the same problem. Scrolling down thousands of blank lines.

term works.
But two more questions:
1) If the programs exits and I try to close the buffer (C-c 1) emacs just
says "current buffer has no process" or "minibuffer not active" I can close
the buffer via the menu, but not with C-c 1
2) How can I make the term buffer split the screen and not to take the
entire screen?

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 21:49       ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-11-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Florian Lindner wrote:
>
>> it's not really working.
>> That's how it looks like now:
>>
>> (add-hook 'pascal-mode-hook
>>           (lambda()
>>              [..]
>>             (defun fl-execute-current-buffer ()
>>               "Executes the compiled file"
>>               (interactive)
>>               (shell-command (file-name-sans-extension
>>               buffer-file-name)))
>>             (define-key pascal-mode-map (kbd "C-c v")
>>             'fl-execute-current-buffer)))
>>

>> I've I execute this it just displays in the minibuffer:
>>
>> Filename: Runtime error 201 at 0x0805C0DA
>> (some more hex codes)
>>
>> Filename is the output my program gives right before it is waiting for
>> input.
>> If I just execute the program in a bash shell it works ok, I can enter
>> something.
>

> I believe `shell-command' executes the COMMAND with standard input bound
> /dev/null.  Try `comint-run' instead.

comint-run has the same problem. Scrolling down thousands of blank lines.

>> A weird problem also apperas if I try to execute the program in the shell
>> mode (M-x shell), it scrolling thousands of lines with withspaces down.
>> Everything works on a normal shell.
>> Any ideas?
>

> Perhaps your program assumes that it is connected to a terminal.  You
> could try using `term' (instead of `comint-run' or `shell-command').

term works, Thanks.

@ 2002-11-25 22:51         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-11-25 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner wrote:

> 2) How can I make the term buffer split the screen and not to take the
> entire screen?

C-x 2

--

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-25 23:04           ` fabrice bauzac
From: fabrice bauzac @ 2002-11-25 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Florian Lindner wrote:

> >2) How can I make the term buffer split the screen and not to take the
> >entire screen?

Maybe C-c 2 ?

--
fabrice bauzac
Software should be free.  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-26 16:25           ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-11-26 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Florian Lindner wrote:
>
>> 2) How can I make the term buffer split the screen and not to take the
>> entire screen?
>

> C-x 2

split-window-vertically just splits the window and uses both parts for the
current window.
I want that the new windows takes about the half of the current window, like
the compile function.
Thx,
Florian

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-26 16:32             ` Kester Clegg
From: Kester Clegg @ 2002-11-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

> > C-x 2
>
> split-window-vertically just splits the window and uses both parts for the
> current window.
> I want that the new windows takes about the half of the current window, like
> the compile function.

Do you mean you want the second window to be smaller than C-x 2 gives
you?

Define your own function and call it:

(defun littleSplit ()
  "Split in two unequal windows"
  (interactive)
  (split-window nil 52 nil))

Kester Clegg				Dept. of Computer Science,
Research Assistant (UTC)		University of York,
Tel (01904) 43 27 49			email: kester at cs.york.ac.uk

* Re: Key binding
@ 2002-11-26 17:45               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-26 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kester Clegg <kester@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:
>
>> > C-x 2
>>
>> split-window-vertically just splits the window and uses both parts for the
>> current window.
>> I want that the new windows takes about the half of the current window, like
>> the compile function.
>
> Do you mean you want the second window to be smaller than C-x 2 gives
> you?

I think he means that C-x 2 produces two windows with the same
content.  But he wants different content in one window.

I think C-x 2 M-x term RET will do that.  Starts term in one of the
two windows, the other is left alone (displaying the scratch buffer,
or whatever).

kai

* key binding
@ 2003-11-27  5:35 Jason
       [not found] ` <mailman.699.1069919563.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason @ 2003-11-27  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

How to bind f5 to debug command(e.g gdb) and f7 to compile command(e.g
compile)?
Thanks.
                        Jason

* Re: key binding
@ 2003-11-27  6:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.699.1069919563.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-27  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Jason" <realsong@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:35:30 +0800
>
> How to bind f5 to debug command(e.g gdb) and f7 to compile command(e.g
> compile)?

The node "Init Rebinding" in the Emacs manual shows how to bind keys
to commands.  Please read it, and if something there is unclear,
please ask specific questions.

(I found that node in the manual by typing "i key binding RET" in the
Emacs manual.  I suggest to get familiar with the `i' command and use
it frequently.)

* Re: key binding
       [not found] ` <mailman.699.1069919563.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-27  7:43   ` Jason
       [not found]     ` <mailman.726.1069946597.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason @ 2003-11-27  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK! I will read it carefully. :)
I inserted some commands to .emacs and emacs do the thing he should do. the
commands i inserted:

     (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook
       (lambda ()
        (local-set-key (quote [f5]) (quote compile))))
     (add-hook 'c++-mode-hook
       (lambda ()
        (local-set-key (quote [f7]) (quote gdb))))

But now something else appear, after i press f5, emacs ask me if i want to
run my command like this "Compile command: make -k". It's a goodwill but I
hope it run the command as default forever. So I don't want to press another
key anymore.
how to ?
thanks!
                        Jason

* Re: key binding
@ 2003-11-27 14:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.726.1069946597.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-27 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Jason" <realsong@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:43:06 +0800
>
> But now something else appear, after i press f5, emacs ask me if i want to
> run my command like this "Compile command: make -k". It's a goodwill but I
> hope it run the command as default forever. So I don't want to press another
> key anymore.
> how to ?

I'm not sure I understand: is the command `recompile' what you want?

* Re: key binding
       [not found]     ` <mailman.726.1069946597.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-28  0:27       ` Jason
From: Jason @ 2003-11-28  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> дÈëÓʼþ
> > From: "Jason" <realsong@hotmail.com>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:43:06 +0800
> >
> > But now something else appear, after i press f5, emacs ask me if i want
> > run my command like this "Compile command: make -k". It's a goodwill but
> > hope it run the command as default forever. So I don't want to press
another
> > key anymore.
> > how to ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand: is the command `recompile' what you want?

Yes!

* Re: key binding
       [not found] ` <mailman.699.1069919563.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-28  3:53   ` leo
From: leo @ 2003-11-28  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote in message
> (I found that node in the manual by typing "i key binding RET" in the
> Emacs manual.  I suggest to get familiar with the `i' command and use
> it frequently.)

wow, Info-index isreally quite good, thanks!

leo

* key binding
@ 2014-02-04 22:18 Mickey Ferguson
From: Mickey Ferguson @ 2014-02-04 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)

I want to bind the key sequence Esc-F3 (or Alt-F3) to the function I have defined that will compare windows, ignoring whitespace.  The lambda that I've defined works fine.  I found the following lisp line of code that will make this key mapping:

(global-set-key (kbd "<escape><f3>") (lambda () (interactive)
                                       (compare-windows t)))

Unfortunately, it has the side effect of killing the other Esc-<something> types of commands.  For example, I frequently use Esc-> and Esc-< to move to the end of beginning of a buffer, and they no longer work.  I've confirmed that this one line is the culprit by commenting out the command, keeping the rest of my initialization intact, and all is well.  So can anyone else suggest how I can safely map the Esc-F3 (Alt-F3) key combination?  Replies to Mickey (dot) Ferguson (at) CassidianCommunications (dot) com.

* Re: key binding
@ 2014-02-05  1:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-05  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (global-set-key (kbd "<escape><f3>") (lambda () (interactive)
>                                        (compare-windows t)))

Try
   (global-set-key [M-f3] (lambda () (interactive) (compare-windows t)))
or
   (global-set-key [?\e f3] (lambda () (interactive) (compare-windows t)))

The problem with your binding is that it uses the `escape' event.
This event is normally unbound and turned (via function-key-map) into an
ESC event (the "ASCII char 27 known as 'escape'") to which lots of
things are bound.  This mapping is because ESC is what is received in
a text terminal when you press the `escape' key, so some code somewhere
needs to "unify" the ESC char (from the tty) and the `escape' event
(from the GUI library).

* RE: key binding
@ 2014-02-05 20:12 Mickey Ferguson
From: Mickey Ferguson @ 2014-02-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>Post by Mickey Ferguson
>(global-set-key (kbd "<escape><f3>") (lambda () (interactive)
>(compare-windows t)))

>Try
>(global-set-key [M-f3] (lambda () (interactive) (compare-windows t)))
>or
>(global-set-key [?\e f3] (lambda () (interactive) (compare-windows t)))

>The problem with your binding is that it uses the `escape' event.
>This event is normally unbound and turned (via function-key-map) into an
>ESC event (the "ASCII char 27 known as 'escape'") to which lots of
>things are bound. This mapping is because ESC is what is received in
>a text terminal when you press the `escape' key, so some code somewhere
>needs to "unify" the ESC char (from the tty) and the `escape' event
>(from the GUI library).

Thanks, Stefan.  The latter suggestion worked.  And since my problem is
now solved, I'm happy!  :-)  And thanks also for the great explanation of
what was wrong with my original attempt.  A lot of stuff I didn't know.