all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-27  2:49 leo
From: leo @ 2003-11-27  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there

for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily  tell emacs to create
them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.

regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism doesn't
exist.

anywhere any package available for that?

thanks, leo

* Re: auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-27 10:13 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-11-27 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com> writes:

> for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily tell emacs to
> create them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.
>
> regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism
> doesn't exist.

I think you should be able to do it by customizing
`auto-save-file-name-transforms'.

* Re: auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-27 19:42 ` sebyte
From: sebyte @ 2003-11-27 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

leo wrote:

> hi there
>
> for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily  tell emacs to create
> them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.
>
> regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism doesn't
> exist.
>
> anywhere any package available for that?
>
> thanks, leo

There's already a thread here somewhere that dealt with this exact issue.  I
can't find it now, but the information I remember, as I did what I am about to
describe only yesterday!  Basically, there is no 'built-in' function or variable
that will do what you want it to do.  However, one Sebastian Kremer wrote a
package called 'auto-save' in 1992 that does exactly what you want it to do.
You can find it at;

ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/emacs-lisp/old-archive/auto-save.elZ

It's easy to install and, as far as I can tell, works perfectly.  (All those
annoying #...# files in one directory).  Good luck.  Let us know how you get on.

sebyte

* Re: auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-27 22:20   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-11-27 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> "leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily tell emacs to
>> create them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.
>>
>> regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism
>> doesn't exist.
>
> I think you should be able to do it by customizing
> `auto-save-file-name-transforms'.

I thought so too, but I have found this as well (also mentioned in the
Emacs manual):

,----[ C-h f make-auto-save-file-name RET ]

`----

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-28  3:47   ` leo
From: leo @ 2003-11-28  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jesper Harder" <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> "leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> > for backup files (like "filename.~1~) i can easily tell emacs to
> > create them in its own subdirectory via backup-directory-alist.
> >
> > regarding auto-saving files (like "#filename#") this mechanism
> > doesn't exist.
>
> I think you should be able to do it by customizing
> `auto-save-file-name-transforms'.

well, looks interesting, but what i do not understand what that does: it
looks like it genberate names in a sub-directory ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list
but my auto-saving files appear in the directory of the original file with a
# at the beginning and end.

or is there a difference between the _auto-save_ features and the
_auto-saving_ features?

cheers, leo

* Re: auto-saving in other directory
@ 2003-11-28  3:50   ` leo
From: leo @ 2003-11-28  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"sebyte" <sdt133@netscape.net> wrote in message

> However, one Sebastian Kremer wrote a
> package called 'auto-save' in 1992 that does exactly what you want it to
do.
> You can find it at;
>
> ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/emacs-lisp/old-archive/auto-save.elZ
>
> It's easy to install and, as far as I can tell, works perfectly.  (All
those
> annoying #...# files in one directory).  Good luck.  Let us know how you
get on.

thanks, i'll certainly look into that.

first research says, that the original version is 1.19 from 1992, but there
is a Xemacs adapotion, with version num 1.25.

cheers, leo