all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Update appointments when saving diary-file in GNU Emacs 21.3
@ 2003-11-17 13:05 Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2003-11-17 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you update the appointments (for the current day)?  I'm using the
appointment feature in the diary in GNU Emacs 21.3.

Emacs automatically updates appointments at midnight, but that is not
good enough, since I want to update the appointments list several times
a day, without using M-x appt-add (it should instead parse the diary
file).

I'd prefer to use the diary for this, and not planner mode or anything
else.  Any ideas?

--
Henrik S. Hansen     http://www.freecode.dk
Computer science (software engineering) student

* Re: Update appointments when saving diary-file in GNU Emacs 21.3
@ 2003-11-17 17:27 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-17 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik S. Hansen wrote:

> How do you update the appointments (for the current day)?  I'm using the
> appointment feature in the diary in GNU Emacs 21.3.
>
> Emacs automatically updates appointments at midnight, but that is not
> good enough, since I want to update the appointments list several times
> a day, without using M-x appt-add (it should instead parse the diary
> file).
>
> I'd prefer to use the diary for this, and not planner mode or anything
> else.  Any ideas?

If you run `M-x diary' (or `d' i the *Calendar* buffer), the appointment list

should be updated.  If you can confirm that, then maybe you could add something
like this to the bottom of your ~/diary file:

### Local Variables:
### eval: (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks (lambda () (diary) nil))
### End:

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Update appointments when saving diary-file in GNU Emacs 21.3
@ 2003-11-17 19:37   ` Henrik S. Hansen
From: Henrik S. Hansen @ 2003-11-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> If you run `M-x diary' (or `d' i the *Calendar* buffer), the
> appointment list should be updated.

You're right.  Can't believe I didn't think of that.

> If you can confirm that, then maybe you could add something like this
> to the bottom of your ~/diary file:
>
> ### Local Variables:
> ### eval: (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks (lambda () (diary) nil))
> ### End:

This works great.  Thanks a lot. :-)

To avoid being asked if eval should be run, I also set enable-local-eval
to t.  However, this is probably not something everybody should do.