all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compiling emacs for 486 mulinux
@ 2003-10-30 23:28 Jonathan Kurtz
From: Jonathan Kurtz @ 2003-10-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi followers!

I've used emacs before and like to install it on a IBM Thinkpat with a
486 200 MB HD, 12 MB RAM. I've installed mulinux on it, and I'm trying
to compile emacs on a different machine (SUSE 7.X, Pentium) cause
there isn't enough space on the lapi :)
The created emacs executable for the 386 is about 5 MB and after
transfer to mulinux the error seems to be:
emacs: not found.
Does anyone know this frightening problem?
I need my emacs!

thx,
joni)

* Re: compiling emacs for 486 mulinux
@ 2003-10-31  8:52 ` Ulrich Herbst
From: Ulrich Herbst @ 2003-10-31  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Kurtz wrote:

> The created emacs executable for the 386 is about 5 MB and after
> transfer to mulinux the error seems to be:
> emacs: not found.

Have you:
- chmod +x emacs ?
- Is this emacs in your Path or have you started it with /full/path/to/emacs
?

Uli

* Re: compiling emacs for 486 mulinux
@ 2003-10-31 17:17   ` Jonathan Kurtz
From: Jonathan Kurtz @ 2003-10-31 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

thank you for reply.
> Have you:
> - chmod +x emacs ?
> - Is this emacs in your Path or have you started it with /full/path/to/emacs
> ?
yes, I did.
still I'm getting this error:
/root/emacs: not found

anyone know what I'm missing?

thank you,

@ 2003-10-31 17:50     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-10-31 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> thank you for reply.
>> Have you:
>> - chmod +x emacs ?
>> - Is this emacs in your Path or have you started it with /full/path/to/emacs
>> ?
> yes, I did.
> still I'm getting this error:
> /root/emacs: not found

> anyone know what I'm missing?

It's built using a different version of libc (or of ld.so, most likely).
The `not found' message is probably confusingly referring to
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 or something like that.

* Re: compiling emacs for 486 mulinux
@ 2003-11-02 18:19       ` Jonathan Kurtz
From: Jonathan Kurtz @ 2003-11-02 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier chiseled very nicely in

Hi!

thank you again :)
figured it out on weekend myself:
ldd /root/emacs
ldd: can't execute emacs (No such a file or directory)

> > still I'm getting this error:
> > /root/emacs: not found
>
> > anyone know what I'm missing?
>
> It's built using a different version of libc (or of ld.so, most likely).
> The `not found' message is probably confusingly referring to
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 or something like that.
you were right. :(

Does anybody know where to get that old libs on the internet? I need
them in kernelversion 2.0.36 (mulinux) for recompiling emacs again -
and to put the whole thing back on mulinx.
Well I'll try to recompile emacs with mulinux's libc.so.5.4.13,
ld-linux.so.1, libncurses.so.3.0 and libc.so.5 - but without libm.so,
compiling will probably fail. [1]
I'll post again, if it worked -

thx,

joni)

[1] maybe I was looking in the wrong place: it's either in /usr/lib,
nor in /lib