all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-07 17:49 Thomas Langen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1288.1065565418.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thomas Langen @ 2003-10-07 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

AFAIK the function insert-ucs-character allows only decimal numbers as
argument for unicode characters. This is rather uncomfortable, as those
characters are normally given as hexadecimal codes.

Is there a way to give the hex code as argument for any method to insert
a unicode character?

Or does anybody know a better workaround than to convert manually from
hex to dec?

* hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-07 19:36 Thomas Langen
From: Thomas Langen @ 2003-10-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

AFAIK the function insert-ucs-character allows only decimal numbers as
argument for unicode characters. This is rather uncomfortable, as those
characters are normally given as hexadecimal codes.

Is there a way to give the hex code as argument for any method to insert
a unicode character?

Or does anybody know a better workaround than to convert manually from
hex to dec?

* Re: hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-07 22:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1288.1065565418.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-10-07 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Thomas Langen <langen@langensoft.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:49:28 +0200
>
> AFAIK the function insert-ucs-character allows only decimal numbers as
> argument for unicode characters.

Really?  Did you try to say #x1234, for example?

@ 2003-10-08  7:33   ` Thomas Langen
From: Thomas Langen @ 2003-10-08  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>From: Thomas Langen <langen@langensoft.de>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:49:28 +0200
>>
>>AFAIK the function insert-ucs-character allows only decimal numbers as
>>argument for unicode characters.
>

> Really?  Did you try to say #x1234, for example?

Thank you, that's the solution I was looking for - is it documented
anywhere? (I had tried 0x1234, 1234h, and some other combinations I
could imagine - they all didn't work.)

Maybe some extended help on the mule-ucs function "insert-ucs-character"
would be useful.

* Re: hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-08  8:58     ` Oliver Scholz
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-10-08  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Langen <langen@langensoft.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>>From: Thomas Langen <langen@langensoft.de>
>>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>>Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 19:49:28 +0200
>>>
>>> AFAIK the function insert-ucs-character allows only decimal numbers
>>> as argument for unicode characters.
>> Really?  Did you try to say #x1234, for example?
>>

> Thank you, that's the solution I was looking for - is it documented
> anywhere? (I had tried 0x1234, 1234h, and some other combinations I
> could imagine - they all didn't work.)
>
> Maybe some extended help on the mule-ucs function
> "insert-ucs-character" would be useful.

This is not a feature of any specific function. It is a feature of the
Lisp reader. You can use hexadezimal, octal or binary notation
anywhere in Emacs Lisp code:

(print 4660)
(print #x1234)
(print #o11064)
(print #b1001000110100)

    Oliver
--
17 Vendémiaire an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-08 10:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1314.1065609331.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-10-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Thomas Langen <langen@langensoft.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:33:32 +0200
> >
> > Really?  Did you try to say #x1234, for example?
>
> Thank you, that's the solution I was looking for - is it documented
> anywhere?

See the node "Integer Basics" in the ELisp manual.

* Re: hexadecimal unicode input ?
@ 2003-10-08 11:35     ` Sergei Pokrovsky
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1314.1065609331.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2003-10-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Thomas> Maybe some extended help on the mule-ucs function
  Thomas> "insert-ucs-character" would be useful.

BTW, does it make sense to install mule-ucs in Emacs-21.3 ?
Looks like most of its capabilities are there out of the box, while
mule-ucs was not updated since April 2001.

--
Sergei

@ 2003-10-08 13:45       ` Thomas Langen
From: Thomas Langen @ 2003-10-08 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> See the node "Integer Basics" in the ELisp manual.

Shame on me, I had forgotten about that manual - thanks for your help
(and to Oliver Scholz, too).