all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Enabling global-font-lock-mode
@ 2002-10-24 15:39 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-10-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font lock mode)
Using this expression in my .emacs file is evaluated without errors but
don't take effect. What's wrong?

'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

Thx,
Florian

* Re: Enabling global-font-lock-mode
@ 2002-10-24 15:43 ` Phillip Lord
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Phillip Lord @ 2002-10-24 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Florian> Hello, I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font
  Florian> lock mode) Using this expression in my .emacs file is
  Florian> evaluated without errors but don't take effect. What's
  Florian> wrong?

  Florian> '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

It's quoted which means "don't evaluate the following".

Try

(global-font-lock-mode t)

Cheers

Phil

* Re: Enabling global-font-lock-mode
@ 2002-10-24 16:49 ` John McCabe
       [not found] ` <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de>
       [not found] ` <mailman.1035481346.8205.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John McCabe @ 2002-10-24 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:39:29 +0200, Florian Lindner
<Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font lock mode)
>Using this expression in my .emacs file is evaluated without errors but
>don't take effect. What's wrong?
>
>'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

What version of Emacs are you using? If anything after 20.0, use the
"Customize" features to do it rather than edit your .emacs.

It may be under the "Help" menu, or the "Options" menu. Find the
"Customize" menu, then "Specific Option" and enter
global-font-lock-mode when asked.

If it is listed as "off", click on "Toggle" then on the "State" button
and select "Save for future sessions."

@ 2002-10-24 17:40   ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-10-24 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font lock mode)
> Using this expression in my .emacs file is evaluated without errors but
> don't take effect. What's wrong?
>
> '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

The proper syntax is:

(global-font-lock-mode t)

Or more simply select it from the Options menu (it's the first item) and
then select "Save Options" from that same menu.

Peter

* Re: Enabling global-font-lock-mode
@ 2002-10-24 18:11   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-10-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:39:29 +0200, Florian Lindner
> <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font lock mode)
>>Using this expression in my .emacs file is evaluated without errors but
>>don't take effect. What's wrong?
>>
>>'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>
> What version of Emacs are you using? If anything after 20.0, use the
> "Customize" features to do it rather than edit your .emacs.
>
> It may be under the "Help" menu, or the "Options" menu. Find the
> "Customize" menu, then "Specific Option" and enter
> global-font-lock-mode when asked.

I prefer to edit the .emacs directly, it's a greater learn effect and I
don't like to use things that I don't understand.

@ 2002-10-25  9:42     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-10-25  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:11:27 +0200, Florian Lindner
<Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:

>John McCabe wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:39:29 +0200, Florian Lindner
>> <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I want to enable Syntax Highlightning (Global font lock mode)
>>>Using this expression in my .emacs file is evaluated without errors but
>>>don't take effect. What's wrong?
>>>
>>>'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>>
>> What version of Emacs are you using? If anything after 20.0, use the
>> "Customize" features to do it rather than edit your .emacs.
>>
>> It may be under the "Help" menu, or the "Options" menu. Find the
>> "Customize" menu, then "Specific Option" and enter
>> global-font-lock-mode when asked.
>
>I prefer to edit the .emacs directly, it's a greater learn effect and I
>don't like to use things that I don't understand.

Unfortunately it's also a greater risk that it won't work on future
versions! Customize is there to make things easier for you, it is
simple, generally reliable, and *should* be consistent. That can't be
said for hand-editing .emacs. If you really want to hand-edit .emacs,
use Customize instead then look at the difference when you set a
value.

In your original question you said you had added:

'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

Now, if that was somewhere within the

(custom-set-variables
)

block, it should have worked *unless* you had something hand-edited
elsewhere that switched it back off. If you just put that line in
outside the custom-set-variables block it isn't going to work.

* Re: Enabling global-font-lock-mode
@ 2002-10-25 14:27       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I prefer to edit the .emacs directly, it's a greater learn effect and I
>> don't like to use things that I don't understand.
> Unfortunately it's also a greater risk that it won't work on future
> versions!

Actually, no :-(
There is much more thought put into and experience with maintaining
backward compatibility for hand-edited .emacs code than for
custom-generated settings.
That's also because even Emacs maintainers don't really understand all
the details of `custom'.

@ 2002-10-27 22:24   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2002-10-27 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> writes:

> Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:
>
> > '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
>
> The proper syntax is:
>
> (global-font-lock-mode t)
>
> Or more simply select it from the Options menu (it's the first item) and
> then select "Save Options" from that same menu.

Just thought I'd point out that to me the line which the original
poster reported looks ver much like the exact line you get in your
customize variables section if you use the menu option to turn
on global font lock mode. The alternative suggestions are what you use
if you just like doing your own .emacs file rather than use customize.

Personally, I like ot use a mix of both - I've found problems with
just using customize if you do a lot of customization - for example
with emacs 21, if I do extensive customization of face attributes via
customize, I lose the ability to change font sizes/types via the
Shift-Mouse-1 menu. However, if I either use X resources or
set-face-attribute, I don't get these problems.

I also think its easy to get burnt trying to translate settings from
the custom variable/face section to just a standard .emacs
setting. For example, the font-lock setting mentioned above and have a
look at the difference between setting auto-fill-mode via customize
and how it is described in the documentation or FAQ on how to do it
just in your .emacs.

I guess the thing to be careful about is to make sure you read the
documentation regarding some feature and its customization and don't
just expect you can cut lines from the customize variables/faces
section and just drop them in a function, variable setting or add-hook
block.

Tim

* Obtaining 21.3
@ 2003-09-18  7:56 Florian Lindner
       [not found] ` <mailman.381.1063875673.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian Lindner @ 2003-09-18  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
since 21.3 is not available on the GNU server for more than 2 months
now, is there trustworthy source where I can get Emacs 21.3?
Thanks,
Florian

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
@ 2003-09-18  8:52 ` ray
       [not found] ` <mailman.381.1063875673.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ray @ 2003-09-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Florian Lindner wrote:

> Hello,
> since 21.3 is not available on the GNU server for more than 2 months
> now, is there trustworthy source where I can get Emacs 21.3?

Oh, and by the way: Is it worth the trouble to upgrade from 21.2.1?

ray

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
       [not found] ` <mailman.381.1063875673.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-18 11:19   ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2003-09-18 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

<ray@nabuli.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:mailman.381.1063875673.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Florian Lindner wrote:
>
> > since 21.3 is not available on the GNU server for more than 2 months
> > now, is there trustworthy source where I can get Emacs 21.3?
> Oh, and by the way: Is it worth the trouble to upgrade from 21.2.1?

Since it has been probably removed for a reason, the answer is probably: NO.

I stepped back from 21.3. to 21.2. after massive problems with emacs-hangs after killing emacs-buffers.
Usually emacs hung some three times a day..... (on HPUX 10.20, compiled with HP-tools)
So I stepped back to 21.2 which doesn't show the problem.

Could some knowledgeable person shed some light on the reasons for the removal of 21.3. from the ftp-servers ?

Martin

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
@ 2003-09-18 12:37     ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2003-09-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Jost wrote:

> Could some knowledgeable person shed some light on the reasons for
> the removal of 21.3. from the ftp-servers ?

It's because ftp.gnu.org has been hacked late in march 2003. The
integrity of all files is currently being checked. Check one of the
readme files that are placed instead of the actual files and you will
know more.

--
Uwe

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
@ 2003-09-18 16:07       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Siart wrote:

> Martin Jost wrote:
>
>> Could some knowledgeable person shed some light on the reasons for
>> the removal of 21.3. from the ftp-servers ?
>
> It's because ftp.gnu.org has been hacked late in march 2003. The
> integrity of all files is currently being checked. Check one of the
> readme files that are placed instead of the actual files and you will
> know more.

The fact that it's still missing 6 weeks after they began checking
indicates they can't -- and probably won't -- find a trusted MD5
checksum for it.

See http://ftp.gnu.org/MISSING-FILES.README

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
@ 2003-09-19 12:39         ` Martin Jost
From: Martin Jost @ 2003-09-19 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3F69D84E.6080401@yahoo.com...
> Uwe Siart wrote:
>
> > Martin Jost wrote:
> >
> >> Could some knowledgeable person shed some light on the reasons for
> >> the removal of 21.3. from the ftp-servers ?
> > [...] Check one of the readme files that are placed instead of the actual files and you will
> > know more.
> See http://ftp.gnu.org/MISSING-FILES.README

Thanks for the link.
I got (and still get) 404 for the files I tried, e.g.
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/emacs/emacs-21.3.tar.gz.back-RSN.README
or
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-21.3.tar.gz.back-RSN.README

Now I know what's going on.

Martin

* Re: Obtaining 21.3
       [not found] ` <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de>
@ 2003-09-25 17:00   ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-09-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:

> Hello,
> since 21.3 is not available on the GNU server for more than 2 months now,
> is there trustworthy source where I can get Emacs 21.3?

[I, m rather late in this thread, sorry.]

You could try:

 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/emacs21/emacs21_21.3+1.orig.tar.gz

Peter