all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
@ 2003-09-11 20:02 Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2003-09-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I
think, although I am not too sure about the exact timing), I have been
unable to associate files with emacs. The 'open with' dialog doesn't
accept runemacs as input. I manged to associate some files types with
emacs by editing the 'file types' settings in the folder options, but
that also doesn't work in all cases. I tried to create an association
for .tex, but Windows forgets my settings as soon as I close the file
types dialog...

Needless to say, running addpm doesn't change anything.

Any ideas? My worst fear is that by some evil scheme, windows doesn't
allow associations with programs that are installed outside the 'Program
Files' folder anymore... I've put emacs in c:\programs.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Bjoern

* Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
@ 2003-09-12  7:15 ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2003-09-12  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjoern wrote:

> I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I
> think, although I am not too sure about the exact timing), I have been
> unable to associate files with emacs. The 'open with' dialog doesn't
> accept runemacs as input.

Well, I don't know why your OS does not accept any arbitrary program as
application for 'open'. I'm rinning W2k and I don't face problems of
this kind at all. But anyway, to associate files with Emacs, you should
consider using gnuserv and consequently better associate files to
gnuclient. runemacs will start a new emacs process anytime you call it
while gnuclient picks the file, loading it in a new buffer of an already
running emacs. Much more convenient and 'emacs-like'.

Sorry this does not solve your problem directly. But once you solved it,
this might even increase your happiness with emacs.

--
Uwe

* Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
@ 2003-09-12 20:52 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-09-12 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Do Sep 11 2003 at 22:02, Bjoern <bjoern_p1@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I
> think, although I am
> not too sure about the exact timing), I have been unable to
> associate files with
> emacs.

Did you try to associate files by setting the corresponding registry
keys?

For example this should associate c-files with gnuclient

<-- snip and save to emacs.reg or whatever -->
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\edit]
@="edit (ascii)"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\edit\command]
@="D:\\GNU\\emacs\\site-lisp\\bin\\gnuclientw.exe -F \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cfile\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cfile\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cfile\Shell\Open\Command]
@="D:\\GNU\\emacs\\site-lisp\\bin\\gnuclientw.exe -F \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cfile\DefaultIcon]
@="D:\\GNU\\emacs\\site-lisp\\bin\\icons.dll,3"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.c]
@="cfile"
"Content Type"="text/plain"
<-- snip -->

HTH
Martin
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
@ 2003-09-12 23:10   ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2003-09-12 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stemplinger wrote:

> On Do Sep 11 2003 at 22:02, Bjoern <bjoern_p1@gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I
>>think, although I am
>>not too sure about the exact timing), I have been unable to
>>associate files with
>>emacs.
>

> Did you try to associate files by setting the corresponding registry
> keys?

No, because I don't really know how the registry works. I guess it's
about time I study it.

> For example this should associate c-files with gnuclient

Thanks - I'm still not sure how to use it, but once I get a better idea,
I'll probably get back to your code snippet.

Bjoern

[...]

* Re: Help - can't associate files on Windows XP?
@ 2003-09-12 23:12   ` Bjoern
From: Bjoern @ 2003-09-12 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Siart wrote:

> Bjoern wrote:
>
>> I'm using emacs 21.3 for Win32, but ever since I upgraded to 21.3 (I
>> think, although I am not too sure about the exact timing), I have been
>> unable to associate files with emacs. The 'open with' dialog doesn't
>> accept runemacs as input.
>

> Well, I don't know why your OS does not accept any arbitrary program as
> application for 'open'. I'm rinning W2k and I don't face problems of
> this kind at all. But anyway, to associate files with Emacs, you should

It used to work for me before, too. I'm not sure why it doesn't anymore.

> consider using gnuserv and consequently better associate files to
> gnuclient. runemacs will start a new emacs process anytime you call it
> while gnuclient picks the file, loading it in a new buffer of an already
> running emacs. Much more convenient and 'emacs-like'.

I'll try that again too (along with learning more about how the registry
works). I guess it would still be possible to start a second standalone
emacs by just calling runemacs directly?

@ 2003-09-12 23:16     ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-09-12 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sa Sep 13 2003 at 01:12, Bjoern <bjoern_p1@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'll try that again too (along with learning more about how the
> registry works). I guess it would still be possible to start a
> second standalone emacs by just calling runemacs directly?

Sure. But why would you want to do that?

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail