all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* find-grep-dired on nt emacs
@ 2003-09-09  6:24 Leo
From: Leo @ 2003-09-09  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there

i tried find-grep-dired, but i get an errror in the *Find* buffer:

        c:/Program Files/Borland/:
        find . \( -type f -exec grep -q TWebBrowser {} \;  \) -exec ls -ld
{} ;
        find: missing argument to `-exec'

i'm running nt emacs with cygwin and have set my shell-file-name and
explicit-shell-file-name to "bash".

in an interactive shell buffer it works when i quote the last semicolon. so
the correct command is:

        find . \( -type f -exec grep -q TWebBrowser {} \;  \) -exec ls -ld
{} \;

how can i tell find-grep-dired to provide the last backslash???

thanks, leo

* Re: find-grep-dired on nt emacs
@ 2003-09-09 17:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo wrote:

> hi there
>
> i tried find-grep-dired, but i get an errror in the *Find* buffer:
>
>         c:/Program Files/Borland/:
>         find . \( -type f -exec grep -q TWebBrowser {} \;  \) -exec ls -ld
> {} ;
>         find: missing argument to `-exec'
>
> i'm running nt emacs with cygwin and have set my shell-file-name and
> explicit-shell-file-name to "bash".
>
> in an interactive shell buffer it works when i quote the last semicolon. so
> the correct command is:
>
>         find . \( -type f -exec grep -q TWebBrowser {} \;  \) -exec ls -ld
> {} \;
>
> how can i tell find-grep-dired to provide the last backslash???

Check the value of find-ls-option; it should have the trailing semicolon
backslash'ed.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: find-grep-dired on nt emacs
@ 2003-09-10  1:57   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2003-09-10  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry, couldn't find the var find-ls-option.i'm running gnu emacs 21.3.1.

any other var to customize find-grep-dired?

cheers, leo

@ 2003-09-10 22:44     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-10 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Please don't top-post]

Leo wrote:

> sorry, couldn't find the var find-ls-option.i'm running gnu emacs 21.3.1.
>
> any other var to customize find-grep-dired?

That's odd.  I searched for "ls -ld" in the 21.3 sources and found this
in lisp/find-dired.el:

(defcustom find-ls-option
   (if (eq system-type 'berkeley-unix) '("-ls" . "-gilsb")
     '("-exec ls -ld {} \\;" . "-ld"))
   "*Description of the option to `find' to produce an `ls -l'-type listing.
This is a cons of two strings (FIND-OPTION . LS-SWITCHES).  FIND-OPTION
gives the option (or options) to `find' that produce the desired output.
LS-SWITCHES is a list of `ls' switches to tell dired how to parse the output."
   :type '(cons (string :tag "Find Option")
	       (string :tag "Ls Switches"))
   :group 'find-dired)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: find-grep-dired on nt emacs
@ 2003-09-11  4:31       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2003-09-11  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

well, i found it too. and i could change the option via customize.

but stilll, in help-apropos no variable like find-ls-option is shown.

anyway, now i could tweak the setting and find-grep-dired works like a
beauty! :-)))

thanks, leo